What's behind your boat?

From your towing rig to trailer brakes. This is the place to discuss towing and trailering.

What's behind your boat?

Postby JP » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Hello all,
I just wanted to share some upgrades I'm working on for the truck and boat trailer or any other trailer. I have a 2001 pu that only came with the factory 6 disc changer. I replaced that with a din 2 dvd/monitor. I stared with one camera in the back. Got to thinking my side extend tow mirrors just don't show what's really going on with the load I'm pulling. Im in the process of setting up a camera that I can move from trailer to trailer. In the coming weeks I will share picks of what I'm using to install them and be able to view all camera's at once.

It's almost boating time!
JP
1996 Interceptor 232 sc
2001 F-150 SD
JP

Interests: 0

Re: What's behind your boat?

Postby JP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 am

This is the new stereo that I installed a few months ago that kicked off this project. Has all the bells and whistles. These have come way down in price also.
1996 Interceptor 232 sc
2001 F-150 SD
JP

Postby JP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:44 am

This is all the cameras I'm installing with longer wire harness. 2 cameras, one camera switcher, and harnes.

1996 Interceptor 232 sc
2001 F-150 SD
JP

Postby JP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 am

I spent the better part of 4 hours wiring these into the truck. I'm using 3 cameras and one monitor. One back cam for getting the trailer on the truck and another on the back for wide view and one cam on the front. When I installed the stereo the first time I used the cam and wireless set up to link the cam to the monitor. If you have a long truck like mine I do not recommend using the wireless connection. The camera would not come on and when it did the pic was fuzzy. Since I hard wired them I have no issues at all. I put all camera's and the video switch on switched power. This way they only come on when I have the monitor switched to camera view.

1996 Interceptor 232 sc
2001 F-150 SD
JP

Postby JP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:36 am

With the video switch I can view 1-4 cameras at once or a combination of 2 or 3. The switch came with a remote to make that process a bit better when driving. Sorry bout the dark photos. When I finally finished it was dark out and those were taken in front of my barn and back to the road. Once I get a trailer behind the truck I will let you know how the process of being able to move a camera to the trailer worked. Once spring set's in I'm going to make some changes to the boat with camera's. They have a video recorder that you can install with the switch and cameras. Thus way I can use the tv that's in the boat and be ableto record people wake boarding, skiing and tubing. I'm sure the kids will get a kick being able to watch what they were doing. Also this kind of stuff helps catch people trying to steal your stuff when your not anywhere around. It is nice to update the truck with new technology. The stereo also has navigation, DVD, BT, and a bunch more stuff. I didn't have to give my arm and leg for this stuff also. Some cameras are as little as 10 bucks on amazon. Prob the most expensive part of it besides the stereo was the video switch. This was a fun project that did not take very long at all and the benefits are great.

It's almost boating time!
JP
1996 Interceptor 232 sc
2001 F-150 SD
JP

Postby Irie Mon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 pm

That is pretty sweet JP. I have always wanted to do some type of camera on the back of my trailer. Just cannot see behind the boat very well.

Boating season will be here before you know it.
2004 Caravelle 207, 5.0L MPI 260 HP
Irie Mon

Postby AndrewT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks for sharing.
2005 Interceptor 212
Volvo 5.0 GXi 270hp
21P 14.5 3B SS prop and 19P 4B SS for wakeboarding and tubing.
AndrewT

Return to Towing / Trailering