vapor lock

From the 192SS Bow Rider up to the 232SS & LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for all of you Inteceptor owners and enthusiasts.

vapor lock

Postby tripvw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:23 pm

on hot days if I let my boat sit for very long at all and try to restart I get vapor lock. opening the hatch and running the blower doesn't help either. I replaced the fuel cooler and distributer before I really new what the problem was. boat has a check valve in water lines that is operating. fuel pressure looks good. am I the only one? or has anyone found the fix? 2007 interceptor 5.0 mpi. thanks!
07 212 Interceptor
10 F150 FX4 Screw
tripvw

Interests: 0

Re: vapor lock

Postby Scoots » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 am

Vapor lock shouldnt be an issue with a fuel injected engine. In automotive EFI engines so called vapor lock is often a failing fuel pump. You need to start with the basics, when it has the issue verify spark and fuel pressure which take a special inline gauge. I wonder if any code readers like an OBD2 reader will connect? That would be a great start. Dealer replaced my fuel pump just before I bought it.
04 212 Interceptor 5.7 Gi
Scoots

Postby buyfire » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:12 am

Are you sure it's vapor lock? I believe one of the primary advantages of MPI is that they're much less likely to suffer vapor lock issues. I have heard that ethanol fuels can contribute to vapor lock issues. I ran "no alcohol" fuel exclusively, although, not primarily because of this issue.

Here, give this a read.

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/articl ... vapor-lock
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby tripvw » Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Marina I took it to replaced the anti siphoning valve. Ran it all weekend and had no problems so I believe it's fixed! :D
07 212 Interceptor
10 F150 FX4 Screw
tripvw

Postby V pads » Thu May 18, 2017 11:39 am

I experienced this more than once, and always thought vapor lock. Always had to open the hatch and lets things cool down. Only happened in the Florida summer too. My fix was to always run the blower while wakeboarding or such and lift the hatch as soon as docked or took a break. Even propping the hatch up a few inches and allowing the compartment to vent seemed to work if I stopped and turned the engine off. Always thought the engine compartment didn't breathe well enough, to the point I've considered an additional blower or vent. I have also switch to non ethanol too. So far so good, but I'll keep this thread and the anti-siphon valve in mind. Please update the thread any further info...
Eric
V pads

Postby tripvw » Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Yeah, mine would do it intermittently, and popping the hatch and running blower would help but not completely solve . I really believe it was vapor lock, bc as dangerous as it may be, if I bled out some fuel from the fuel pressure test port(which would be hot and aerated) it would fire up and run fine. I would however, always wash the fuel off with a lot of water to try to deter explosions.. ha
07 212 Interceptor
10 F150 FX4 Screw
tripvw

Return to Interceptor Performance Boats