Broken belt

From the 192SS Bow Rider up to the 232SS & LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for all of you Inteceptor owners and enthusiasts.

Broken belt

Postby UT.EAR.DOC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:53 am

After 3 awesome years with my boat, finally had a problem and got stranded. Once a year we take an entire day and tour Norris Lake here in Tennessee. On our way home, the boat was running great then I felt the engine "slip" or "skip" a few times. A few moments later she just sounded bogged down. I got in the water and inspected the prop to find nothing wrong. Looked at the engine (Volvo Penta 5.7) and the alternator belt was "gone." We found shreds in the bilge area. We could idle only, so we made it to a marina and got a ride home. Luckily the boat would still idle, but I thought it was odd that the alternator belt would impact the boat in such a way. At any rate, she is in for repair now.
UT.EAR.DOC

Interests: 0

Re: Broken belt

Postby m_snow » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Hope your water pump isn't powered by the serp belt like on Merc's. A merc would probably overheat.
m_snow

Postby iammarcuse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:44 pm

If it is fuel injected your voltage would gradually drop and affect the operation of the ECU computer. Like M.Snow said a merc would have overheated and caused possible major damage if not shut down.

We are on a very large body of water(Lake of the Woods Ontario) and I run mine miles down the lake. I always carry a spare belt, and spare prop as well as tools to change both. Those are the 2 things most likely to strand you. I don't have a second battery but that would be the third.
iammarcuse

Postby UT.EAR.DOC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:14 am

Got the belt replaced and all is good. Getting a spare belt seems like a great idea moving forward!
UT.EAR.DOC

Postby Swerve » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:35 pm

My Merc dropped a belt once, hardest this was loosing the power steering. Glad all came good for you.
2008 Caravelle 217LS
Swerve

Return to Interceptor Performance Boats