Interceptors are not performance boats.

From the 192SS Bow Rider up to the 232SS & LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for all of you Inteceptor owners and enthusiasts.

Re: Interceptors are not performance boats.

Postby chambers1517 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Ok you guys have talked me into an Enertia. Which one is the best for my boat. They have a 13.5"x22p or a 13.8"x21p. Which one between the Enertia or the Enertia eco?
chambers1517

Interests: 0

Postby iammarcuse » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:43 pm

The Eco is too big a diameter. What RPM did the Vengeance turn? The Enertia should be close in RPM pitch for pitch. You want to prop it to the top of your range.
iammarcuse

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:05 pm

The process is not as simple as you seem to believe Sir. 212 or 232? What drive? What was your WOT operation with your current prop? I am thinking a 21P but, if you could borrow one or try one out you'd be less likely to be stuck with an expensive prop that is incorrect for your setup

HP
HOT PURSUIT

Postby chambers1517 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:00 am

My boat is a 2008 232 with a 350 mag and a bravo one. It had a 21 pitch Vengence on it when I bought it. It was terrible about blowing out. It would also run 55.3 gps before hitting the rev limiter. This is with me only in the boat. I finally got tired of the prop losing bite in turns when pulling tubes so I decided to do something different. I took the Vengence to a prop shop and it has a bent blade and has lost the cup in the blades.This is probably why it was blowing out and I could hit the rev limiter. He said about $200 to rebuild the Vengence. He sold me a Solas 19p 4 blade to try. It was a larger diameter and was smooth but hole shot was no better and I lost 2 mph on top end and 4800 rpm was max at a light load. I took it back and thought about having the Vengence repaired but hate to spend that much on that prop so I am going to buy an enertia. The enertia comes in a 21x13.7 or a 22x13.5. My question is 22p with less diameter or 21 with slightly more.
chambers1517

Postby iammarcuse » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:54 am

That set up typically comes with 1.5 drive but you need to check for sure. It is stamped on the right side of the gear housing and will say 1.36, 1.50 or 1.65. They raised the max rpm of that motor to 5200 in 2008 so I am surprised you were hitting the limiter. What was the specific max rpm with the Vengeance? You want to turn around 5000 rpm, so I doubt you could turn a 22p. You may want to run a search on this forum and see the results of others. (Enertia Interceptor) Most settled on a 20p or 21p Enertia.
Elevation above sea level is another big factor as well. The closer to sea level the higher the pitch you can turn. Sorry it is so complicated. I ran 3 wrong props before I realized I had a 1.65 drive.
iammarcuse

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:44 am

Buddy no longer on here had a 232SC with same engine. The 21P worked great for him, you'll not turn that 22P well and hole shot will SUCK :( Forget about the SPEED when testing props Sir! Means nothing until you get WOT operation into the correct RPM range :mrgreen:

HP
HOT PURSUIT

Postby chambers1517 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:42 pm

So I bought a 21p Enertia, brand new for $515. To recap why I was looking for a prop to begin with. The Vengence that was on my boat had good acceleration but had terrible bite in turns. It would top out at 55.38 and I would get some type of alarm at 5000 rpm. I thought it was the rev limiter. It was a steady beep and loss of power until I returned to an idle and then it would reset. I was really bugged by the alarm since the limit was supposed to be over 5200 rpm. I would probably have left it alone but the fact the prop would not bite in turns was unacceptable. Took the prop to a prop shop and discovered one blade was bent and all the cup was gone in all blades. I bought a 19p 4 blade Solas. Hole shot wasn't any better and top speed was 53mph at 4800rpm. This is with a full tank and me only in the boat. Trim seemed to have little impact all the way up til the prop would blow out trimmed 3/4 of the way up. It was a larger diameter and was just too much prop. I took the Solas back and thought about having the Vengence rebuilt. You guys convinced that an Enertia was the right prop for my boat so I bought one. This should be the factory prop on this setup. Just got back from the lake to try the Enertia. Full tank with me only in boat. Bite was great. Trim actually affected the boat. I could trim up until the boat would porpoise. This was good because I like to trim up until a boat begins to porpoise and then trim down just til it stops. Top speed on GPS was 59.25 at exactly 5200 rpm. No alarm and no loss of power. Great bite in turns. Really thrilled with the results so thanks a lot guys, this prop is perfect for my boat.
chambers1517

Postby iammarcuse » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Perfect! Congrats... you can't do better than those numbers.
iammarcuse

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Yee Ha!!!! :mrgreen:

HP
HOT PURSUIT

Postby 4Play » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:04 pm

So.......................Has your opinion changed? ARE "Interceptors performance boats"??????????????

Just wondering if this has renewed your passion for the Interceptor like the rest of us have.

Amazing how this bunch helped you nail this down.
Caravelle 192 Interceptor ...4-play
1973 BMW 2002 Tii Turbo
1985 318i
4Play

Postby buyfire » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:10 am

4Play wrote:So.......................Has your opinion changed? ARE "Interceptors performance boats"??????????????

Just wondering if this has renewed your passion for the Interceptor like the rest of us have.

Amazing how this bunch helped you nail this down.

I'm interested in this answer as well, even though I think chambers1517 was partially correct to begin with.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby chambers1517 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:13 pm

I do fell better about the boats performance with the Enertia prop. Almost 60 mph is not too shabby for a boat that is able to tow tubes and toys all day long. It is also comfortable and a great family boat. The looks are pretty good also so while it is not a true performance boat it is a great all around boat that performs well.That being said, my previous boat was a Caravelle LS207 with a 5.0mpi. It topped out at 55 and was wider than the Interceptor. It also was a great family boat that performed almost as well and was deeper which made it feel bigger. The Interceptor looks alot faster and is a little faster but it isn't night and day different from my 207. The 207 may be as fast with a 350 mag. This is why I felt the Interceptors performance was a slight letdown.
chambers1517

Postby 4Play » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Are you a politician....lol.
In a way I even agree. It is a fast looking boat that performs but also fills the family needs.

But have a look at HP's videos and see one that performs!
Caravelle 192 Interceptor ...4-play
1973 BMW 2002 Tii Turbo
1985 318i
4Play

Previous

Return to Interceptor Performance Boats