Yet another 2nd battery install

From the 192SS Bow Rider up to the 232SS & LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for all of you Inteceptor owners and enthusiasts.

Yet another 2nd battery install

Postby dsm1212 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm hoping to put in a 2nd battery and blue seas add a battery kit in my 2006 232 Interceptor w/MAG 350 MPI. I don't have any trim tabs and I feel like the boat usually shows a slight starboard lean so I'm thinking about putting the second battery on the port side of the engine. Any reason not to? More importantly how the heck do I install a battery tray on that side without putting a hole in the hull? Where have others put their switch on this boat? If anyone has done this and has photos of their install that would be great to see too.

thanks

steve
dsm1212

Interests: 0

Re: Yet another 2nd battery install

Postby yyz28 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Some folks put one on one side and the second on the other, but for me, I'd just put them together. Less cabling. I shift people around the boat to make it balance all the time. LOL! Having them both in the same place makes cabling and hooking everything else simple, and keeps the other side of the engine bay free for other stuff.
YYZ28

2003 Caravelle Interceptor 232 - Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI w/ Bravo 1
2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - 383 LS6 Heads/Cam
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS - 383 SBC Heads/Cam
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ - 5.3L LMG V8
yyz28

Postby dsm1212 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks, You may be right and hey if it creates a problem I can justify some trim tabs. Where did you put your switch?

steve
dsm1212

Postby dsm1212 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Seriously any tips or photos on where people put their switches/avrs? I'm looking for suggestions.

thanks
steve
dsm1212

Postby Larry R » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 pm

I installed a second battery in my 2003. Mounted it next to original one and put my switch on the engine divider board next to the batteries. I off set the weight (a little) by keeping a spare prop and tool box on the other side of the engine bay.
2003 232 "Interceptor" Bow Rider - 5.7 320hp
Larry R

Postby yyz28 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:26 pm

my switch is mounted right next to the batteries, but I virtually never use it - I installed one of these -

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... vEwJ3nxZN0

...so, essentially, when the system is getting charging voltage from the alternator, it automatically combines the circuits and charges both batteries, and when I shut down, it isolates so that I can't run the starter battery down while showing off the LED's and listening to tunes. There is a "combine" selection on the switch so you can start off the house battery if for some reason you lose the starter battery. ...but to be honest, since I installed it, I haven't touched the switch. It does the work for you, and eliminates the PITA of opening the engine cover every time you stop or drop anchor. Throwing out an idea for you...

GOOD LUCK!
YYZ28

yyz28

Postby dsm1212 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks, weather finally broke here and I'm finally going to uncover the boat. I'm actually going to do the blue seas switch too zzy28. I guess I won't worry so much about the weight and just put the two batteries together. I'm super-paranoid about drilling though. I think that''s just transom hull under where they are sitting isn't it? Did you guys replace the battery holder with a 2-battery model or add a second one? Did you have to drill any holes?

Also did you fuse the lines going to the ACR as suggested by the manufacturer. Adds another $75 for terminal fuses and blocks...

thanks

steve
dsm1212

Postby dsm1212 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Opened the boat and since I don't have the transom walk through there is a nice inset above the battery where I can install this under the transom. I shouldn't need to buy many feet of cable if I put both batteries on the same side. I do have a couple of other questions though in addition to the last note.

1. The mini add-a-battery is rated up to a 65A alternator and my boat has a 65A alternator. The switch stats are: 1000A cranking (10secs), 650A (1 min), 450A (5 min), 300A continuous. The recommended battery for the engine is 550CCA. I think CCA is amps at 0 deg C for 30 seconds. So the mini switch should be OK, no? I really like the small size.

2. I can't tell what size the primary power cable is. The calculators online don't seem to want CCA because if I put 550 in it says that's more than 4/0. How do I determine the cable size for the primary power? I could just go with 4/0 but it costs more and is harder to work with.

3. Lots of cables connected to two posts (pos & neg) in front of the batteries. On the positive side there is one large red wire going through a 40A sealed buss box. I guessing that leads to the house. There is another large red cable that looks like it goes to the engine. Also a handful of yellow cables. Would one of those yellows be the bilge pump and float? How do I tell what is what? Connect one at a time to a battery and see what works?

Would like to place the order for the materials tomorrow. Hopefully someone is reading this :-).

thanks

steve
dsm1212

Postby yyz28 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 pm

1. I can't answer that - I would assume that so long as your boat's specs are under the maximums, you would be ok... I went with the standard kit from Blue Sea and have had NO issues. That's really the only input I can offer you.

2. I used 1AWG. Should be good up to 175", or around 12'. These connections should be very short.

3. I think you are on top of the various cables. Yes, the best thing to do is hook them up one at a time and see what is what, but really, with this system, you can put any system on any battery. Ultimately, I put EVERYTHING on battery #2 except the starter.

...regarding your first question, I got a second battery box, screwed it to the deck floor. Yes, I did use fuses. While I was doing this install, I also installed a dual battery charger and a plug port to the boat, so when I'm in slip, I'm on shore power, and the batteries are always fresh when I hit the slip on the weekend. It was an inexpensive add on and really completes the package. Offers the convenience of hooking up that the big boats have on a smaller vessel, and means she is totally self-contained.
YYZ28

yyz28

Postby dsm1212 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks. Spent some time on the phone with Blue Sea and the guy was confident the mini was fine even for my 300HP I/O motor. The specs for the large one are not that much different really.

I dug in there with a flashlight and the current cabling is regular 4 AWG. I also found a nice article by some boating standards group and did the calculation based on size of the motor. Big surprise even with my added 4 feet it came to 4 AWG. So I placed an order for that size cables. Still the most expensive parts, but much cheaper than 4/0.

The only wires I like to pinpoint are the bilge/float power lines. I'd like to just attach those directly to one of the batteries.

Boy Caravelle support is useless these days. Last year when I called them someone came right on and answered my questions, this year they insist I send email to parts for all tech questions and after 48 hours they have not responded. Hopefully this isn't a sign they are in trouble again.

steve
dsm1212

Postby dsm1212 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 pm

I think I have everything I need to do the install. My boat does not have the transom walk through. When I lift up the transom the boat is formed on the left side with an indent where the walk through would have been so there is a nice recessed spot for the switch and acr. It's right above the batteries. I notice two things about this spot though:

1) It's two layers of fiberglass with, I believe, an air gap. Hard to measure but I'd say about an inch thick total. There is about 3/4" thickness on the back of the switch & acr before the bolts are exposed to attach cables. Has anyone ever installed one of these in a thick double wall like that?

2) this is across from and below one of the back griles. There is a bunch of cables between the two though so any water spashing in would likely hit those. Now that I look at it, the grille is really right over the original battery so if that thing ever let much water in it would have come down into the battery compartment. I'm thinking that would be a worse disaster than getting these switches wet because they are all positive.

Comments?
dsm1212

Postby MattOso » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:52 pm

I just saw this post for the first time and I just installed a second battery on my 232 last week. Ill try and take some pictures tonight but basically, I just installed a battery on the opposite side and ran 4awg wire through the original wire loom running over the back side of the engine. In the process of making a battery mount for it now but this is the battery i run my 2 amplifiers off of. No need for switches or fuses. I just fused the amps.
OSO
2005 232 350Mag
Lake Michigan
MattOso

Postby dsm1212 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Cool. I was going to put it on the other side, but it looked a little cramped there so I picked up a dual battery tray that looks like it will fit. I admit I'd rather have the weight on the other side, but I've got the cables all made now. How does the second battery get charged in your setup?

The only thing I'm really nervous about is mounting this through the double thick fiberglass wall. It will probably be fine, but I wish it had just been single pane there :-).

thanks,
steve
dsm1212

Postby dsm1212 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Did the install but I have one small problem. Horn and radio don't work. I checked all the fuses in the console fuse panel (in case they were mislabeled. They all have power on both sides. I'm thinking those are not necessarily what powers those two items that I think are ignition independent. Maybe they have they have a separate power line with fuses that are blown? How do I find them? Not even sure where the horn is. Caravelle has not been much help they said the previous owners kept all the electrical diagrams for an 06. Help?

steve
dsm1212

Postby dsm1212 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Never mind on the radio, it's fine. Pilot error on when it should be powered.. However, the horn is not working. Probed power and ground right into the horn and when I push the horn button it shows 12+ volts. Would like to take it down and study it, but it's a stretch and I don't want to remove the wrong screws. It looks like the horn is roughly round sitting in a black bracket. Appear to be two screws (heads up) that might be holding it to the bracket. And two screws (heads toward center of boat) holding the black bracket to the side of the boat. This is difficult to get at. Which should I remove?

If I pop the outside cover off it there are two screws there. It looks like removing those should allow me to pull it out from the outside? But those screws are loose so I'm not sure what is holding it.

steve
dsm1212

Next

Return to Interceptor Performance Boats