Restoration 1998 Interceptor 212 BR 5.7 GSi

From the 192SS Bow Rider up to the 232SS & LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for all of you Inteceptor owners and enthusiasts.

Restoration 1998 Interceptor 212 BR 5.7 GSi

Postby north star » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:37 pm

After many years of fun, Kids, and friends spilling drinks in it, Dock bumps and a Darn Raccoon got inside it while it was at my dealer and ate the interior ! taped it up for 2017, had some EFI issues, wiring... and so I began to dislike a boat I used to love! Reminded me of my 1961 Austin Healey 3000, that I parked for 10 years. Got to thinking,....Still one of the fastest BR on our lake and has the best lines of any boat out there! Even brand new 21 footers aren't as sexy. Hmmmm the Healey took 4 years to do a ground up resto... A boat can't be that much work. And my lovely wife agreed.... Guess she forgot about the Healey bill LOL. Plus I can do most of this work myself.
Decided to dive in.
Never liked the dated Green Stripe, and well you ALL know the White, Green , Pink, Yellow interior was dated when they installed it in 1998.!!

As of Jan 27 2018 Hull Painted completely white, Had new Interceptor Logo made. Simple and Clean. Put Flush Mount Stainless docking lights in bow and Flush Mount Stainless Nav Lights. Looks like you can drive it thru a block of BUTTER like an arrow..LOL. Interior completely removed and heading to be redone to match the new white and black bolster seats. New Color matched steering wheel, Oh >> No more Egg Cup seats !! Large part of floor will be replace under the driver and pax seat. Engine and wiring gone over. Compression check all between 210 -215. New carpet and stereo late spring should be ready for Summer !

Posted elsewhere
Is there a cold air management system to bring in cooler air to the EFI. I'm thinking like the one Dodge Little Red Express Trucks had. Google it. I think there must be some hidden power due to the hot air these boats deal with.

Best Prop ? Not for Skiing , Speed please running stock SS now GPS 53 MPH

Any source for the carpet retaining ring that goes around the Ski Locker to finish off the carpet.

PS the boat isn't available for pictures I'll put some up later this Spring.
North Star
Nova Scotia Canada
Ski Doos Sea Doos
Caravelle Interceptor 5.7 GSi
north star

Interests: 0

Re: Restoration 1998 Interceptor 212 BR 5.7 GSi

Postby Scoots » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Man that is so damn cool to hear someone with absolute love for one of these boats. Im in total agreement, there are almost no boats that look like ours and worse, there all getting big and bloated just like cars!

I have to say my friend, when you mentioned the "lil red express" I got a chubby. :-) Im a Mopar guy from way back. Still have my 340 Challenger since I was 17, have raced Dakotas for years and of course, respect the hell out a a lil red express. In 78 it was the fastest mass produced vehicle on the road, even beat the Vette!

CAI is a tricky one with boats and especially EFI boats. Thats why you'll see pro mod style scoops in the decks of fast lake boats. Theres just no real good solution except for piping in your intake air from the rear vents just over the swim deck. They dont do the from the factory because you run the risk, in very high seas or a crazy throttle chop and the perfect storm behind your boat of water washing up in there. Some boats had vents on the side at the rear, you could possibly install your own and pipe cold air? Ive thought of it myself..

As far as prop thats fairly subjective. I get 57 on gps with 1/4 tank of gas, 3 people, quite smooth water and a brand new 21P 3 blade Quicksilver. After speaking with a lot of people, Im not wasting any money on a high dollar 3, 4 or 5 blade prop because I'll probably only get 5-8 mph more mph. That coming from some guys I now know with Scarabs and Sonics. Water, weight, hull design and stock HP all factor into getting anything from propping up too much. They all suggest at least a true 50hp more in a boat like ours if we are to prop up significantly, meaning we would like to see more then 10mph top end for all the money. That being said, all the boat peeps Ive polled it seems the Alpha 1's respond the best> I looked in to this because I really like VP. It turns out that a Alph has substantially less drag. They arent considered as reliable as a VP but if top end is all you want..

Please post up pics when you can! I love to see builds of things that deserve to be loved. AndrewT hooked us up with a very friendly image posting site. Ive tried it and its better the photoFuket every was. Hope I dont offend with that one. :D imgbb.com
04 212 Interceptor 5.7 Gi
Scoots

Postby north star » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm

thanks posting soon
North Star
Nova Scotia Canada
Ski Doos Sea Doos
Caravelle Interceptor 5.7 GSi
north star

Postby AndrewT » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 am

Photobucket lost the plot!
2005 Interceptor 212
Volvo 5.0 GXi 270hp
21P 14.5 3B SS prop and 19P 4B SS for wakeboarding and tubing.
AndrewT

Return to Interceptor Performance Boats