Sand in the bow

From the 176 Fish & Ski up to the 242LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for the LS Series and other Caravelle models.

Sand in the bow

Postby markgrmc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:09 pm

I see on here some folks add a few hundred pounds of sand to bow area of their boats. What does this do? And where do they put it. My 1994 176 rides pretty rough in the chop, will this help settle it down some?
markgrmc

Interests: 0

Re: Sand in the bow

Postby buyfire » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:10 am

Quick answer, it makes your boat slower. If you like to go fast, you want as little boat in the water as possible.

But seriously, I think there are two reasons some folks add weight to the bow. The first being to help the bow cut into the chop for a smoother ride on smaller boats, I think I'd prefer just keeping the lower unit trimmed down as opposed to adding weight. The second reason being to add ballast for a larger wake for wakeboarding although, adding weight to the stern is far more effective in this case, assuming you've got space in the back for a bunch of sandbags.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby rward182 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:09 am

The extra weight in the bow will help limit the duration of bow rise when taking off from a stop. It can help get a skier up if they drag deep in the water.
Roy
Rendon, TX
2007 Caravelle LS187, 4.3l 190 hp Mercruiser
2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
2003 Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
rward182

Postby m_snow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:54 pm

Extra weight in the bow can have great benefit. Most race boats balance their weight distribution for better ride/level landing upon jumping waves. You may see quicker planning which will save you gas. It can help with cutting through chop too. I've had a full crew and did notice a smoother ride.

Try it, Play with it. Toss it if it don't work. That's what toys are all about!
m_snow

Postby buyfire » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:04 pm

m_snow wrote:Extra weight in the bow can have great benefit. Most race boats balance their weight distribution for better ride/level landing upon jumping waves. You may see quicker planning which will save you gas. It can help with cutting through chop too. I've had a full crew and did notice a smoother ride.

Try it, Play with it. Toss it if it don't work. That's what toys are all about!

Yes, if your boat is stern heavy with people and gear you'll want to move some of them to the bow to decrease stern plow. And you may see race boats weight distribution being optimized front to back/side to side, but I guarantee you'll never see the crew adding bricks to go faster. All non essential gear is removed, which is why you don't see racing vees and cats with finished interiors. Yes, you'll see reduced bow rise but I doubt you'll see any fuel savings. More boat in the water equals more drag which equals worse fuel economy. I don't know for sure about the planing time, but I'd bet the feeling of quicker planing is also an illusion caused by less bow rise.

Next time you do your top speed, planing speed, and planing time testing grab the family and throw them in the bow. Then take them out & report back with the results. Wait, boating season is over, maybe we can enlist the help of our Aussie friends. :flower:
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby AndrewT » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:45 am

I'll try to oblige :D
Been out a couple of times this moth already, water temp mid to high 60s F,so not too bad.
I just trim her down if going through rough water,more weight less speed and acceleration and more fuel.
2005 Interceptor 212
Volvo 5.0 GXi 270hp
21P 14.5 3B SS prop and 19P 4B SS for wakeboarding and tubing.
AndrewT

Postby markgrmc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Thank all of you very much, I will play around with weight distribution next season and report back.
markgrmc

Postby Swerve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Ditto what AndrewT said, in rougher chop, I trim the drive down and this solves it for me. Again work out shat works best for you. Also based on how many people you have on board etc. Personally you dont need the extra weight, maybe move some bodies forward, trim down etc.
2008 Caravelle 217LS
Swerve

Return to Caravelle LS Series