Advice on buying 2012 Caravelle 182 F&S

From the 176 Fish & Ski up to the 242LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for the LS Series and other Caravelle models.

Advice on buying 2012 Caravelle 182 F&S

Postby talldrinkofwater » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:59 am

Hi everyone. I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Caravelle 182 Fish and Ski and was wondering if you could answer some questions I have. The boat is in very good shape and only has about 65 hours on it. I was able to take the boat for a test drive and it handled really well but really need to be run as it has been sitting since February. The only issue I found was a strong gas fumes smell coming from the ski locker while the boat was on the lake and after we put the boat on the trailer. Is this something that I should be worried about, or is this normal? Second question is there anything I should look for or ask to find out about the gas vent issue. I noticed several posts about this and was wondering if this something that I should be very concerned about or can it be fixed if I call Caravelle. The last question, is there anything else that I should look over besides the normal inspection and test ride?

I appreciate any feedback as this is my first boat and want to do my research now before I buy. Thanks
talldrinkofwater

Interests: 0

Re: Advice on buying 2012 Caravelle 182 F&S

Postby AndrewT » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:46 am

Does it smell like gas? If so I'd would be very concerned about it, gas leaks and boats don't mix well.I would get a good marine mechanic to thoroughly inspect it, it could be something fairly simple.
2005 Interceptor 212
Volvo 5.0 GXi 270hp
21P 14.5 3B SS prop and 19P 4B SS for wakeboarding and tubing.
AndrewT

Postby buyfire » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:40 am

Yes, have a FULL inspection. I'm going to assume you're new to boating. You should smell NO gas odor. Many people have been injured or killed from gas leaks under the hatch, even fumes that settle during fueling can ignite and explode. Fuel the boat with the hatch open and bilge blower running. Sorry to lecture you if you know all this already.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby Swerve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Shouldnt smell gas (petrol for us Aussies) so get it checked out, doubt its a hard issue to resolve
2008 Caravelle 217LS
Swerve

Return to Caravelle LS Series