2004 187 Bowrider

From the 176 Fish & Ski up to the 242LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for the LS Series and other Caravelle models.

2004 187 Bowrider

Postby dc187 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:19 am

Hi all, This is my first post, I am a new member. I have been looking at the forum and really enjoy reading the post and looks like some great advise being given. I wanted to post a few question, we are getting back in to boating after a few years off and I came across a 2004 187 Bowrider, I have been impressed with the caravelle brand and we like the lay out of the boat. This boat has about 100 hours on it with a 4.3 liter Mercuriser, the owner said he used it a little when they first got it but it has sat most of the time. Right now it is very dirty for not being covered but it was under a dock out of the water. All the vinyl is in good shape except for being dirty and the exterior is a little oxidized. My questions are, does anyone have some experience with the 187 2004 year model and how the 4.3 works with this size boat? Is there anything I need to be looking for as far as the engine goes with that few hours and not being run very often? I'm sure they have not replaced the impeller in the foot so I figure I need to change that. Will the vinyl clean up and the oxidation with either a pro detail or my elbow grease?
It has the snap in carpet and I think that will clean but would like some suggestions on where to buy new carpet to replace it. They never used the trailer but it is faded and needs new carpet on the bunk boards. Price wise I'm looking from $6000.00 to $7000.00.
I hope this is not to long of a post or to many questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
dc187

Interests: 0

Re: 2004 187 Bowrider

Postby MattOso » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm

First off welcome to the forum!!!!

I'll try putting what little of my 2 cents in as I can. I just bought a 2005 from Arizona in the exact same condition as yours. Kept out in the Arizona sun and never used (150hrs)

2004 and newer use all fiberglass construction, combine that with an engine that has only 100 hrs on it sounds like you found a gem! My cousin has an 18' Glasstron with the same 4.3 v6 in it and I am very impressed at the power output it has for that size boat! :2cool:

Now for engine maintenance, it sounds like your going to want to go through the whole system because you don't know what it was he actual did. That's what I did anyway, and this is what I did..
-Oil and Filter
-Impellor
-Fuel Filter
-Cleaned the High Flow Air Filter
-Hydraulic Fluid
-Gear Lube
-Re Greased the Prop
-Bought a Spare Belt (mine didn't need one)
-Spark Plugs (took all mine out, checked the gap and they were all good. Should be universal at .060 but you may want to double check for your engine size)
-Cap and Rotor (Thankfully the owner just had his replaced with paperwork from a mercruiser dealer. I know on the 350's the caps tend to crack)
Now that I know everything is brand new I don't have to worry about breaking down out on the lake and I can easily manage my own maintenance program.

Exterior wise, well...
-I had to wet sand my gel coat very delicatley
> a polish / buff did not get it to look how i wanted it from being exposed to that Arizona climate
> if you need to do this to yours i recommend looking further into it, maybe someone else has some good advice on the matter?
-Polished and Waxed when I was done and it turned out great

Interior
-Cleaned the Vinyl with some Vinyl cleaner
-Still have to find someone to redo my snap in carpet because my rubber backing has dry rotted out
-Replaced 100% of the audio with JBL 6 1/2's, JBL 10'sub, 2 JBL amps, and a kenwood head unit

Trailer should be easy
-If your recarpeting the boards it's easier to just replace everything new since youll have them off anyway
>Grab some treated lumber and cut them to length just like yours
>Get some new carpet to wrap the boards (indoor/outdoor carpet, it's universal and you can buy it almost anywhere)
>Wrap the boards and staple on the underneath side with a staple gun, or industrial sized hand stapler
>Screw them back on to your trailer using the old ones as a template and you should be good!
-I would also recommend re-packing your bearings

I spent a total of around $400 in parts and supplies to do the engine, drive, and exterior myself. Total time invested was around 8-10 hrs only because it was my first time doing a boat.
Audio was $800 and it took me and a friend 6hrs to wire, cut, and install.
Trailer should only take you about 2hrs

That was a lot at once so if you need me to go into detail about anything or have more questions I'd be glad to help where I can :beer:
OSO
2005 232 350Mag
Lake Michigan
MattOso

Postby dc187 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Great info Mattoso, I really apprciate it. That sounds like a good plan if I end up with the boat. It is in the shop now because it would not crank before I came to test drive, he thinks it is the starter so I am waiting to find out. One more thing I remember him saying, he said a couple of years ago he had a freeze plug bust but no other damage was detected. Anything I need to look for with that? How does that price sound with what needs to be done?
Thanks again
dc187

Postby MattOso » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:41 pm

If a freeze plug busted on it I would definatley make sure the shop knows about it so they can look at the engine more in depth. To do it right would require an ndi test (looks for cracks in the block) which can be expensive but you would know for sure! Otherwise, I'm sure a certified Merc dealer would know what to look for. Unless he can show paperwork proving that nothing was found? Then you would just need to replace a freeze plug :) Only thing you can really look for is under the engine's oil cap. Take it off, preferably after its been run up, and check to see if it looks "milky". If it is that means the oil is mixing with water somewhere -crack or leaky gasket in the block- If it just looks like the regular oil color then it should be good.

Also, if you do decide to purchase it, make sure you get ahold of all the shop maintenance paper work he has! It will save you time and money if something has been replaced recently ie. the starter. That way you already know its new and can move on to the unknowns ie. plugs, wires, alternator, impellor etc.

I can't speculate on price because I was looking into the 212's and 232's and for that year the 212's go for around 14k-18k the 232's go for 18k-22k. If you google search that same year model boat you can find others for sale to help give you a better estimate on what you want to pay for this one.

Glad I can be of help!!
OSO
2005 232 350Mag
Lake Michigan
MattOso

Postby dc187 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm

He said it was checked out when it happened and nothing else was found. I was going to check the oil and see if I noticed anything, I figured if the oil looked good and not milky it was OK but wasn't completely sure if that was all I needed to look for. I appreciate your response. I'll post if everything is good and end up buying. It is suppose to be ready tomorrow and I may have a chance to run it Friday. Thanks again
dc187

Postby MattOso » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:45 am

Great! Hope all goes well! Don't forget to keep us posted :D
OSO
2005 232 350Mag
Lake Michigan
MattOso

Postby dancaravelle267 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:17 pm

I winterized mine as always this year and still blew a freeze plug. Turned out to be no visible cracks on the block. However, it also cracked the water pump and the water distribution housing. It was over $1000 at the shop. Problem is, I am told, that even after you replace the plug, a hairline crack can still show itself in the next few hours.
Yours may be a simple cheap plug but could be more. Just fyi
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Postby dc187 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 am

Just thought I would update on the 2004 187, I did buy the boat and so far so good, it runs great and it cleaned up great on the interior, the exterior will as well, I just have not had time to do a complete clean up on that yet. One question about the hour meter. When I first drove the boat I thought it said 200 hours but I was looking at it last night it it reads 22.5. Is that 22 hours or is that 220 hours. Thanks for the help again.
dc187

Postby dancaravelle267 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:03 am

I I would say that it's 22.5 hours. Mine has the tenth place also. Mine reads 358.7 for example.
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Postby dc187 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:00 pm

The guy said he did not use the boat but 22 hours in 10 years, that's really not using a boat!!
dc187

Postby bunker108 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:01 pm

I have a 188 with a 4.3 too. Although mine is a Volvo with an SX drive. 4.3s are super tough engines and I have had good luck with mine. We boat at Lake Powell and the engine is strong even 4000' above sea level. We make long runs loaded heavy to boat camp. A four blade 19p prop is just about perfect for my needs.

On to the 4.3

Go with what Matt said. You need to have a baseline of a maintence schedule to begin with. All the normal stuff, plugs, fuel/water filter, impeller, and all fluids.

I had to replace the starter last year and the alternator this year. The trim pump is also on its way out. You might have some life left in these components as my boat is 6 years older than yours. But try to address issues as they arise so the don't become overwhelming. Boating is awesome but can be very frustrating when problems occur.

Good luck!
bunker108

Return to Caravelle LS Series