GAS FILL TUBE INSTALLED IMPROPERLY BY CARAVELLE DURING MANUF

From the 176 Fish & Ski up to the 242LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for the LS Series and other Caravelle models.

GAS FILL TUBE INSTALLED IMPROPERLY BY CARAVELLE DURING MANUF

Postby cnoodles » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:55 am

MY NEW 2012 F&S 182'S GAS TANK FILL TUBE WAS INSTALLED IMPROPERLY DURING CONSTRUCTION TO THE GAS TANK. THE FILL TUBE WAS PLACED AT THE SIDE OF THE TANK NOT ON THE TOP OF THE TANK. FILLING IS DIFFICULT SINCE GAS IS TRYNG TO FILL FROM THE BOTTOM NOT TO THE TOP WHERE THERE IS OPEN SPACE SO THAT THE AIR VENT CAN REMOVE VAPORS AS IT FILLS. THERE IS BACK UP THE TUBE A OVERFLOWS IF NOT FILLED VERY SLOWLY.
AM I ALONE WITH THIS PROBLEM? :cry:
cnoodles

Interests: 0

Postby Cruzomatic » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:18 am

Might want to turn off all caps. Kind of hard to read and it's not web polite.

Sorry to hear about that. The guys in their QC department should have caught that during their checklist. Looks like you just purchased it? Can you take it back to the dealer as a warranty repair?
Last edited by Cruzomatic on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EX-2005 207LS
Current-2009 Chaparral 236SSI
Cruzomatic

Postby joewithaboat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:25 am

Ive seen this discussed elsewhere. Apparently there is a kit to relocate the vent to make it work better. Sorry I dont have the details.
Good luck!
1996 1900BR 4.3merc/gen2 alpha

Hoping for an Interceptor in my future
joewithaboat

Postby Irie Mon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:19 pm

First thing is did you see that it is filling at the side of the tank or are you guessing that because it won't fill?

Myself and many others have had that problem with our older boats. Our problem was however due to the running of the vent line. It ran straight to the back but had a drop in the line where it would hold gas and cause a vapor lock. This would happen worse when the boat was in the water, not so much when on the trailer. I ran a new vent per the suggestions from others on this site and Caravelle. It fills up better now but you still have to fill it up slower than your vehicle.

Ours are older boats and I thought that they would have fixed the problem.

If you are having the same problem you can search the forum for more information. If not it is time to take it back to the dealer and have it checked or changed.
2004 Caravelle 207, 5.0L MPI 260 HP
Irie Mon

Return to Caravelle LS Series