2012 182 F&S-FUEL TANK FILL PROBLEM

From the 176 Fish & Ski up to the 242LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for the LS Series and other Caravelle models.

2012 182 F&S-FUEL TANK FILL PROBLEM

Postby cnoodles » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:29 am

I HAVE A NEW 2012 182 FISH & SWIM,BOUGHT LAST FALL (SEPT 2011). THIS MODEL IS NO LONGER MADE. 1ST TIME IN THE WATER MAY 30 2012
SEE BELOW OF MY EMAIL TO CARAVELLE

I am having a difficult problem with filling the gas tank. The boat was filled with its initial tank by the dealer who delivered the boat to me(May 30th 2012) Since then, I bring a four gallon(3 times) portable can to refill the tank. Each time the gas backs up the fill tube and over flows. The process takes about 15 minutes and I am only able to put in 3 1/2 gal. in the tank. When I start the engine the gas indicator never registers for the refill. The float in the tank may be stuck.

I tried bringing the boat to the only marina on the lake that pumps gas and the same thing happened, the tank only took 3 gallons of gas. I started the engine and about 100 yds out on the lake the engine died. I had to be towed up the lake. The engine circuit breaker tripped and the mechanic at the marina didn't know that. I called the dealer about the problem. He came to the lake and reengaged the circuit breaker. I had to pay him for the service call $250 for mileage and 1 hour of his time just to press the button.

I have no idea if the tank is full or not. I have used the boat about 25 hours. The engine dash usage indicator shows 129, This includes testing time by Merc. There is no CARAVELLE owner's manual.
I called the dealer about the problem. He told me that I need to have additional weight in the front of the boat to lower the front end. He believes that this should cure the fill problem. This does not work either. Its frustrating. Please help me with your advise.
:cry:
cnoodles

Interests: 0

Postby joewithaboat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 am

You probably have a 30 gallon tank.

Are you using much gas before trying to top it off?

If you overfill it the tank it cant breath through the vent and the engine will run rough or die... at least mine does. The fuel pump cant draw fuel if the vent isn't venting.

If your gas gauge is anything like mine it takes forever for it to come off of full.

Take it out a few times without adding fuel.

P.S. Id tell your dealer.... to go pound sand! $250.00 service call. Hell of way to keep a customer. :x

Did they sell you a boat with over 100 hours on it as new?
1996 1900BR 4.3merc/gen2 alpha

Hoping for an Interceptor in my future
joewithaboat

Postby buyfire » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 am

your dealer sucks ass. he should have informed you that your vent tube needs to be rerouted. the issue has been very well documented on this site & i believe caravelle even had a kit to solve the problem. it was an issue on multiple models. basically, at some point, there's some drop in your vent tube causing an air/gas pocket which doesn't allow the line to vent properly.

he also can't tell you he doesn't know the real issue otherwise he wouldn't have told you to put weight in the bow.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby Muncie6spd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 am

buyfire wrote:your dealer sucks ass. he should have informed you that your vent tube needs to be rerouted. the issue has been very well documented on this site & i believe caravelle even had a kit to solve the problem. it was an issue on multiple models. basically, at some point, there's some drop in your vent tube causing an air/gas pocket which doesn't allow the line to vent properly.

he also can't tell you he doesn't know the real issue otherwise he wouldn't have told you to put weight in the bow.

Ditto!
I had the same problem with mine and solved it by rerouting the gas tank vent hose
2004 Interceptor 212 LS, Wakeboard tower, 5.0MPI:
Muncie6spd

Postby Irie Mon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 pm

I had the same problem filling mine up with gas on the lake. I contacted Caravelle before they went under and they sent me the parts to reroute so there would not be a drop in the vent line. Was not easy to do this but since doing it I can fill it up on the lake without having to put five people up front. I still have to fill it up slow or it will shoot out a half gallon of gas when full on the lake or on the trailer. Do a search and you will find a lot of information on the forum about it.
Good luck.
2004 Caravelle 207, 5.0L MPI 260 HP
Irie Mon

Re: 2012 182 F&S-FUEL TANK FILL PROBLEM

Postby Felix » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm

cnoodles wrote:I called the dealer about the problem. He told me that I need to have additional weight in the front of the boat to lower the front end. He believes that this should cure the fill problem.

WTF? Wow! :shock:

Don't use that dealer. Do yourself a favor and find another mechanic.
Felix

Return to Caravelle LS Series