Testimonials About 187 LS Bow Rider

From the 176 Fish & Ski up to the 242LS Bow Rider...this is the forum for the LS Series and other Caravelle models.

Testimonials About 187 LS Bow Rider

Postby hamtownboy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:37 pm

I am in the process of buying a 2006 187 LS Bow Rider with the 4.3 Mercruser. I would love to hear from others who have either purchased this model or similar models from recent years.

Being from Michigan, the Caravelle name is not well-known but my review of the boat at a recent boatshow was very nice. This boat appears to be high quality and offers extras similarly sized and priced boats do not. I compared against Glastron, Chapparal and Four Winns, primarily.

I will be bundling up the bride and myself to test driving the boat within the next three weeks. Anyone care to comment on pros or cons of this model? I'd love to hear feedback about Caravelle as well. While my research tells me I am making a good purchase, I guess I want to ask the real experts out there -- the folks working these boats out hard every season! Thanks.

Hamtownboy
2006 187 LS
hamtownboy

Interests: 0

caravelle in my book is tops!

Postby intercepman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am

Just bought a 2006 192SS Interceptor w/5.0mpi merc. Let me tell you about taking the waves.
I took delivery of our boat and test drove on the Saint Johns river. Now typically I was very......... may I say VERY........sceptical about caravelle because there were no dealers south of Orlando Florida, and I live in Palm beach (3+hours south). You know, I'm thinking no one around...no service avail....etc.
Sea trialed the boat on a river with no waves too made me also a little worried about how the hull might take the wake around my local area (intercoastal.......or should I mention ocean style waves because of traffic).
Long and short of it......... In my opinion, I'm SOOOO GLADDD I did not buy the Chapparal....even though it seemed well made and simular styled. I "almost" did buy it because of no caravelle interceptors around to test. I also looked at those other brands and tested them too including the Regal (top all over consumer reports).
I think overall quality, features that are avail for a boat of this size, motor capability and choices, as well as pricing........these boats are extremely under-rated. The things you read about plane times, top speed, how well it turns, hull stability,etc are true and not just hype. Even the hardware is so much better than the others.
Now keep in mind that my last boat was a 30' DONZI Black Widow and was a beautiful well built boat.........just turned into a BIG money pit because of age and lack of use. But new it cost almost 200K. (ouch)
Big difference when I only paid under 30K out the door with every option avail and a magic tilt alum trailer maxed out. Not to mention the 6-year merc warranty too :)
DO yourself a HUGE favor and give the caravelle a real top look in your quest for your next fun pleasure craft. You will be another happy person.

Oh the waves........... took her out yesterday with a total of 6people on board.....and was hitting 4footers at 40mph and having a blast going airborne. She really is a lot of fun........ and did i mention solid as a rock.
Top speed (still under 20hours) while keeping rpm's under 4k was 41mph(gps). I think thats incredeble. And planing still at 3seconds!!! WOW Plus all the gear.......need I say more :D
2006 192-Interceptor w/5.0mpi merc
red/checker graphics
switchable exhaust +++
intercepman

Postby DiverDon » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Hey hamtownboy, I have a 2005 187LS w/190hp 4.3 Merc. One of the first 2005 built. Got it in 9/04. Looked at all the boats you mentioned. In the 18' size, the only one I liked almost as much as the Caravelle was the Chapp, but way more $$. Been to two years of boat shows looking at the new models in this range and still think I made the right choice. Read through the board. I don't think you will find anyone that feels thay made a poor choice in Caravelle.

If I were buying today I'd get the same boat. I'd most likely get the MPI engine for ease of starting. And I'd get brakes on the trailer for piece of mind, although sits docked all summer and I don't trailer much.
DiverDon

Postby dtdave » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:11 pm

We really like our 187, this will be our 4th season. You can't go wrong with this model, the large ESP, walk-thru, snap out carpet, all awesome.

We have the MPI, smooth starts every time, a little more horses, too.

In general, I don't think Caravelle is very well-known, but that is also what makes them special, you don't want to be like everyone else, do ya?
dtdave

Seats

Postby mike187fs » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:58 pm

Hey Dave,

How do you find the seats in your 2003? I just purchased a 2004 (new) and the only thing bad I read was that the seats were much improved in 2005.

- Mike
mike187fs

Postby SerenityNow » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:45 pm

This will be our 3rd summer in our 187LS. We have only had a couple of problems- the transom remote for the stereo had to be replaced when it was new, and we had a problem with the engine dieseling when it was turned off. The dealer fixed both and it's been fine since.

This is the perfect boat for our family. We plan on keeping it for a LONG time. 8)
2004 187LS w/MONSTER Tower
2003 Trailblazer EXT
2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster
SerenityNow

Postby dtdave » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:50 pm

The seats on the 05 and 06 models are definitely more comfortable.

There is nothing wrong with the seats, just wish they had a little more cushion. I have bolsters for both so that helps alot.
dtdave

Postby mike187fs » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:00 pm

You have Bolsters? Where did you get those?
mike187fs

Postby sdk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Caravelle.
Somewhere else on this forum the seat issue is discussed.
The new seat is a major improvement over the previous model.
*more cushioning
*flip up bolster
*smoother ride 8)
2005 Caravelle Interceptor 232 BR SS
350 MAGMPI, Bravo 1
2014 Stingray 2LT Coupe
sdk

Postby old man » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:37 pm

I just today got 1 187, and 3 186's.
old man

Postby dtdave » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:10 pm

The flip-up bolsters were an option...
dtdave

Thanks for the Feedback... Keep it coming!

Postby hamtownboy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:37 pm

You all are great. Thanks for replying... and so quickly! We are set to test a 187 LS on 4/1, so wish me luck. I'll let you know what I think when I get back on dry land. If the test drive goes well, the salesman may have a hard time getting me back to the launch. Keep those comments coming about the 187 LS. Later!

Hamtownboy
hamtownboy

187 LS Bowrider

Postby hamtownboy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:38 pm

Hey gang. My bride and I braved the chilly Michigan early spring temperatures to test drive the Caravelle 187 LS Bowrider. It was a windy, gray and cool day with some chop on the water.

Everything you said about the Caravelle 187 LS rang true. She was on plane quickly, hit top speed effortlessly and glided through the sharpest turns I could throw at her.

We went back to the dealership and signed the deal. Thanks again for all of your valuable input.

Hamtownboy :) :) :)
hamtownboy

Postby Jeff » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:01 pm

Congratulations on your new Caravelle!!!! :2cool: :beer:
2002 CARAVELLE 232SC INTERCEPTOR
2009 Dodge Journey SXT
2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND

B O A Ting
Jeff