new boat

Post pictures of your boat here. Be sure to let us know what we are looking at.

new boat

Postby Mrcook2140 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi new to boating, need tips on 1st time out
Attachments
FB_IMG_1427597109881.jpg
FB_IMG_1427597109881.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Mrcook2140

Interests: 0

Re: new boat

Postby DownEastPirate » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Congrats and welcome! I can't offer much in the way of advice, seeing as I just took my 1st boat out for the first time today. I spent a fair amount of time on Youtube looking for people who seemed to know what they were doing...not many seemed to actually get it all right, but nobody's perfect. These videos had animations for the control inputs that helped me visualize what was actually happening at the helm. There's a whole series of them if you take the time to look.

https://youtu.be/-dWXeiBmWRI

Boattest also had a "boat handling" video with a bayliner 185 that was useful as a walkthrough. It's only a little bit a bayliner commercial, but if you're a total newb like me it was a little useful.

https://youtu.be/CY-QylOhGKo

Had a successful outing today, so I guess lots of preparation and a little common sense worked out ok for me. I was solo launching my 19Ebo and what I did was make sure to go on a quiet day (no crowds) and get good an prepped in the staging lanes before backing down. I took a minute to walk out on the courtesy dock and plan what I was going to do. I had my dock line on the boat cleat and ready to go. Checked the drain plug about 3 times. Released the safety cable and loosened the winch strap a bit. Unplugged the lights. Backed down til she floated a bit, then walked down the tongue to climb on the boat. It took just a little shove on the winch to get her backed off a touch, then just idled up to the courtesy dock to tie off. I was careful to tie to the side of the dock away from the ramp so someone could launch behind me right away while I was parking. Then just a walk back to the car to park the trailer and back to the boat.

To retrieve I took the opportunity to pull off an on a time or two while no one was waiting. I likely need to have touch more speed to get it "right" but again, all I did was walk on the trailer, grab the winch strap and pull her up the rest of the way. Even kept my feet dry, so I called that a win.
19 ebo (first boat)
DownEastPirate

Postby rward182 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 am

Welcome to the addiction Mrcook2140!

Don't rush and stay calm.

The tips posted by DownEastPirate are things that all boaters should be doing at the ramp, great job pirate.
Roy
Rendon, TX
2007 Caravelle LS187, 4.3l 190 hp Mercruiser
2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
2003 Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
rward182

Postby buyfire » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:58 am

Practice launching at an empty boat ramp the first couple times. Get your routine down before holding everyone up at the ramp. Install your drain plug before you leave home. :D
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby dancaravelle267 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 am

Congrats! :2cool:
I agree with the above, take your time and go to a boat ramp when it's not busy and practice. Also, always watch that weather and don't take her out for the first time on a windy day.
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Return to Show Us Your Boat