Wet Weather in US

This forum is for all the discussions not related to boating.

Wet Weather in US

Postby AndrewT » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:11 am

Read this today:
Too wet for crops in the United States
Brett Worthington, Tuesday August 6, 2013 - 11:15 EST

A year after one of the worst droughts in the United States, wet weather has wiped out summer crops.

Randy Ellis, who grows cotton, wheat and watermelons in the south-eastern state of Georgia, says the rain has slashed his yields and left farmers with an uncertain future.

"We've had about three days with no rain. That's the longest stretch we've had since back in March when planted the melons," Mr Ellis said.

"It might not be raining everywhere, every day, but we (were) getting rain every day somewhere nearby.

"I've just never seen it this bad. This has been a real headache this year."

The wet weather has increased farmers' costs.

Mr Ellis says his land was too wet to use ground equipment and he had to resort to planes to apply fertiliser and fungicide.

"Normally you do one fungicide spray, but I sprayed mine twice just because of all the rain," he said.

"And then we had a problem getting in the field... the combines were bogging and raining every day.

"We're having to do a lot of aerial application of fungicide and fertiliser and that's running up the costs.

"We like to do everything ourselves with ground equipment, but it being so wet, we're having to hire the planes... that's just running up the costs. Aeroplane fuel is a lot more expensive than diesel fuel."

- ABC

© ABC 2013
Feel sorry for you guys :(
2005 Interceptor 212
Volvo 5.0 GXi 270hp
21P 14.5 3B SS prop and 19P 4B SS for wakeboarding and tubing.
AndrewT

Interests: 0

Re: Wet Weather in US

Postby dancaravelle267 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:03 pm

It's not like that here in Texas. It's dry as a bone at my area in north texas. I have cracks in my yard 1" wide where my sprinklers don't reach by the road. The lake levels drop weekly.
In south east Texas, out by my families ranch, we have gotten just enough rain to get another cutting of hay to help us through the winter but it had been dry there too until those fluke showers.
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Re: Wet Weather in US

Postby KCKPM1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 pm

It's very dry in central Iowa. Everyones yards are burnt and the lakes are starting to go below normal pool levels. We haven't had measurable rain since middle June. The corn and bean crops are a month behind because of the wet spring and didn't get planted on time. But the corn hybrids are very tough and should produce a good crop.
2002 232 BR Interceptor 350 Mag, Bravo I
Enertia 20P/Rev 4 19P Prop SS
05 GMC Denali XL 6.0L
97 Seadoo 3 seater
KCKPM1

Return to The Lounge