New Truck Mod

This forum is for all the discussions not related to boating.

New Truck Mod

Postby firehawk » Fri May 09, 2008 12:28 am

ok guys, since our vehicles have been posted before, i thought i would post this. you all know i have a firehawk (its been posted and its my name) but im not sure if you know, my daily driver is a 2006 dodge dakota night runner edition. its got all the bells and whistles, 4x4, 2 tone interior, power all, ect ect

i have done A LOT of modifications to my truck. today i did my most recent. i used to have taillight covers on my taillights but this weekend after being on for over a year they decided to blow off while i was driving down the highway. im not sure if any of you have heard of niteshade, but it is a "tinting paint"...it allows light to pass through much like looking out of your tinted windows compared to looking into a tinted vehicle if you understand what im saying. pretty much it is a paint that has been thinned or "cut"

anyway, 1 coat can look killer, however your lights will still have plenty of red. most people decided to apply 2 coats or 3 at most, not including clear coats (if you want a glossy finish)...

here is my process:

i removed the taillights and the cargo light from my truck
i wiped them down with alcohol and cleaned them quite well
i scuffed them up with 400 grit sandpaper while wet sanding
i applied a few coats
i lightly wet sanded
i applied a few more coats
i lightly wet sanded again
i applied the final coat of clear

i originally thought after my final coat i would lightly wet sand with 1000 grit but i thought the product looked good enough to be called finished

total, i applied 7 coats. 4 of which were medium to light coats of niteshade while the other 3 were clear coats.

here is the final product, let me know what you think. i wanted to go really dark...when you scroll down towards the final pictures, you will see a bar which unless its on is not visible, but with that, technically i do not need my tails so..

Last edited by firehawk on Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
firehawk

Interests: 0

Postby firehawk » Fri May 09, 2008 12:30 am

and yes i did it in the shop, which can be seen in the 1st few pics. if you look towards the right of the shop in the 1st pic, you will notice the shop matches our house 8)
firehawk

Postby ummgood » Fri May 09, 2008 8:32 am

I like the lights but I like the Mustang better :) Just cause I'm partial.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Postby buyfire » Fri May 09, 2008 10:14 am

i've had several friends do this mod, with mixed success. of the 3 vehicles done, 2 of them started to bubble & peel within about a year after application. although they swear they followed instructions, i'm not so sure. :oops: i've been trying to decide whether to do mine or not after their results. i'm still on the fence. yours looks great though.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby firehawk » Fri May 09, 2008 10:40 am

ummgood wrote:I like the lights but I like the Mustang better :) Just cause I'm partial.

thats my moms, its an 08 gt c/s (california special)
Last edited by firehawk on Fri May 09, 2008 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
firehawk

Postby firehawk » Fri May 09, 2008 10:41 am

buyfire wrote:i've had several friends do this mod, with mixed success. of the 3 vehicles done, 2 of them started to bubble & peel within about a year after application. although they swear they followed instructions, i'm not so sure. :oops: i've been trying to decide whether to do mine or not after their results. i'm still on the fence. yours looks great though.

i know of at least 10 friends/acquaintances that have done it and none of them have had any bubbling. weird, but im sure, its all in the prep. prep prep prep
firehawk

Postby mjb929rr » Fri May 09, 2008 11:17 am

I did the same thing on the blinkers and taillight of my bike. Prep is the key with this particular paint. ImageImage
2001 212 Interceptor 350mag Bravo 1
mjb929rr

Postby firehawk » Fri May 09, 2008 11:36 am

looks good. after looking at it some more, i think ill buff her out a tad. did you?

and here are some pics from this morning. im headed back to stillwater (oklahoma state university) to go have some fun in the cold water with some of my buddies for the rest of the day and tomorrow. have a good weekend guys

firehawk

Postby ummgood » Fri May 09, 2008 12:49 pm

firehawk wrote:
ummgood wrote:I like the lights but I like the Mustang better :) Just cause I'm partial.

thats my moms, its an 08 gt c/s (california special)

Awesome. I ordered my mustang when they were really hot and I had to wait 6 months to get mine. There were no convertibles or C/S versions when I got mine.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Postby firehawk » Fri May 09, 2008 1:09 pm

how are you liking it? haha there are some major burn out marks in front of our house....i wonder who did that :? but i really like driving it. its fun. oh ya, its a stick, my mom drives a stick. what a good girl eh? it doesnt have the muscle car feel the hawk does, but it is quite fun to drive.
firehawk

Postby buyfire » Fri May 09, 2008 2:19 pm

i'm sure prep has something to do with it, IA climate may also be a factor. LOTS of sand & salt on the roads in the winter.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby ummgood » Fri May 09, 2008 3:25 pm

firehawk wrote:how are you liking it? haha there are some major burn out marks in front of our house....i wonder who did that :? but i really like driving it. its fun. oh ya, its a stick, my mom drives a stick. what a good girl eh? it doesnt have the muscle car feel the hawk does, but it is quite fun to drive.

I love it. Mine is a stick as well. It will probably become a hobby car with a supercharger etc... in a couple years.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Nice Ride "TKE"

Postby skifish187 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Firehawk...very nice truck! I really like the TKE sticker in the rear window! XI, TKE Southern Tech, Marietta, Ga 1979!
2004 187LS
2007 Avalanche
Great Wife, 3 daughters, 2 dogs, 1 cat.....
skifish187

Re: Nice Ride "TKE"

Postby firehawk » Sun May 11, 2008 3:07 am

skifish187 wrote:Firehawk...very nice truck! I really like the TKE sticker in the rear window! XI, TKE Southern Tech, Marietta, Ga 1979!

hey what do you know! small world eh? beta gamma here. just had initiation and RCB about a month ago, this whole semester has been a blast. i actually got out of school last weekend. i took the seadoo down to stillwater for one last hurrah since most of us wont see each other for about a month till rush events start to pick up. we had a blast yesterday and today.but ya, this semester has been a blast and i look forward to seeing what the future has in store

edit
and thanks for the compliment 8)
firehawk

Return to The Lounge