Grrrr!

This forum is for all the discussions not related to boating.

Grrrr!

Postby ummgood » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Just venting here but I bought a new house that closed Dec 31st 2005 and it came with a 2 year warranty on most things. Well wouldn't you know the first hot day of the season and our downstairs A/C unit was not cooling? Turns out it is a leaky coil in the unit. Good news is parts are still covered because the unit itself has a 5 year warranty but the labor is not. I was told it was $750 in labor to repair.

So just out of warranty for 3 months and boom I get hit with a pretty large repair bill. I am going to try to kindly request they cover the labor as well since it was probably leaking while under the warranty period. I purchased from a high end builder to make sure I have less troubles so we'll see how they handle this.

Note to myself: Sell house before 10 year foundation warranty is up.

Josh
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Interests: 0

Postby RLS » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Josh,
I know the felling. Our house just turned 11 and develope a plumbing leak in the foundation,a couple of months earlier and I could have gone back on the builder. I was lucky it only cost $2500.00 to repair and there was no other damage to the house. But $2500.00 is $2500.00. It all most stopped me from ordering my tower for the boat. I said what the heck it is only money. Should have the tower installed in the next few weeks.

rex
RLS
HELOTES, TEXAS
2007 187LS
RLS

Postby m_snow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:21 pm

6 months after I moved into my house a man pulled in the driveway and gave me a notice to move out in 45 days or pay $98,000 to stay. I was confused and panicked to the max!

Seemed the title search lawyers missed a tax re-assesment during closing and my property had back taxes due. Back taxes, courthouse step bidding, and numerable other charges brought the total owed $98,000, not to mention my mortgage.

THK GAWD for title insurance! I ended up paying nothing! BUT, it went down to T-minus 3 days to move out time before I got the news that insurance would cover it.

Lesson: ALWAYS BUY TITLE INSURANCE!

Mark in ATL
Last edited by m_snow on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
m_snow

Postby RLS » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Mark,
That would be a real shocker, glad to hear you had the title insurance those little things pay off big when you need them. Though from the looks of your boat you did have pretty nice place to stay if need be.

rex
RLS
HELOTES, TEXAS
2007 187LS
RLS

Postby ummgood » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Wow my 750 is small in comparison to those. I agree with the Title insurance. When you have to pay that 1500 dollars it seems like a lot to pay for little risk but when you hear a story about a 98000 dollar tax bill it definitely makes it worth it.

Rex I know my roommate in college parents had the same thing happen to them when we were in school. They had to tear up tile, jackhammer their foundation and repair. Needless to say it was a huge loss but they sued the builder and the builder ended up paying for it.

I am just annoyed because to me a new house should have at least 5 years without problems but call me a dreamer.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Postby singintheblue » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 am

After I had been in my house for 3 years, the laundry room floor became soft. I pulled up the linoleum and the wood was wet and I could punch through it with a screwdriver. Ripped it up and found where they had nailed the quarter molding down and poked right through a copper water pipe. For 3 years, it had been misting my floor from the bottom.
I explained it to the builder, he took one look at it and said, "I'll take care of it" and he did. :lol:
"Good eatin' size" is a term used only by those who catch small fish.

2000 Caravelle 212BR Interceptor 5.0 Gi Volvo Penta
250 HP, 1.6 ratio, 17P Revolution 4
2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V-8 270 HP 7200 lb. towing
singintheblue

Postby Nuckle » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:30 pm

Got about 3 quotes on the repair. I have found a huge difference in quotes from one HVAC company to the other. Some are out right bandits.

Nuck
Nuckle

Postby ummgood » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Nuckle,

I am stuck in a hard spot on that one. I have to go through this one company since my parts are still under warranty. If I went with another outfit then I would have to pay for parts as well and even if the labor is cheaper it probably would cost more in the end. They have been fair so far as when the emergency crew came out they did not charge for that trip and recharged my unit.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Postby ummgood » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:37 pm

That soft floor thing would scare me to death. Good thing your builder paid for that mess.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Postby Nuckle » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:53 pm

ummgood wrote:Nuckle,

I am stuck in a hard spot on that one. I have to go through this one company since my parts are still under warranty. If I went with another outfit then I would have to pay for parts as well and even if the labor is cheaper it probably would cost more in the end. They have been fair so far as when the emergency crew came out they did not charge for that trip and recharged my unit.

What type of unit is it? American standard, train etc.? I know Train’s have a 5 yr and American Standards have a 3 yr. There should be multiple dealers in your area if you live in a populated area. Don't let them feed you the bologna that you have to use the same dealer as you purchased the unit from. If it is under the manufacturers warranty then any dealer can perform warranty work. Just like you do not have to take your Ford to the dealer you bought it from. Any Ford dealer can make warranty repair.

Sounds to me like they know you are getting the part for free so they are sticking it to you on the labor. $750 just jumps out at me as about $250 too much.

Find out what their labor rate is and then ask them how many hours they expect it to take to do the job.

I say all this because I had to replace one of my outer units a while back and the initial quote was $3000. After going through multiple companies and playing one against the other I was able to get the unit installed for $1,500. A $1,500 swing caused me to not trust HVAC people again.

You case is a little different because you have to be careful how much effort you put into saving $250.

If the warranty is a manufacturers warranty I would at least call other dealers of that product in your area for a second opinion.

Good Luck!

Nuck
Nuckle

Postby ummgood » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:25 am

Nuckle wrote:
ummgood wrote:Nuckle,

What type of unit is it? American standard, train etc.? I know Train’s have a 5 yr and American Standards have a 3 yr. There should be multiple dealers in your area if you live in a populated area. Don't let them feed you the bologna that you have to use the same dealer as you purchased the unit from. If it is under the manufacturers warranty then any dealer can perform warranty work. Just like you do not have to take your Ford to the dealer you bought it from. Any Ford dealer can make warranty repair.

Sounds to me like they know you are getting the part for free so they are sticking it to you on the labor. $750 just jumps out at me as about $250 too much.

Find out what their labor rate is and then ask them how many hours they expect it to take to do the job.

I say all this because I had to replace one of my outer units a while back and the initial quote was $3000. After going through multiple companies and playing one against the other I was able to get the unit installed for $1,500. A $1,500 swing caused me to not trust HVAC people again.

You case is a little different because you have to be careful how much effort you put into saving $250.

If the warranty is a manufacturers warranty I would at least call other dealers of that product in your area for a second opinion.

Good Luck!

Nuck

Thanks Nuck,

I think it is a little high because of my system setup. I have two units a 5 ton 14 Seer Carrier (leaking) and a 4 tone 14 seer carrier (working fine) next to each other in my attic. Both units have a 5 year manufacturer warranty. The evaporator coil is what is leaking so they have to take my unit apart including removing all ducts from the unit in the attic which I believe there are 5 ducts going into that unit. He said normally the price for a typical replacement of the coil is around 500 dollars but he said my is a xxxx type unit which I have no idea and can't remember the exact terminology but it costs 250 dollars more because it is more complex to get out.

I am asking them to do everything under warrenty since I am only 3 months out of warrenty and it was a leak so it could have been completely empty before I was out of warranty. If they refuse I will probably get other bids.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Postby ummgood » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Yes I just got a call today and the A/C company is going to do my repair under warranty. They said all I would be out was the 75 dollars for the original service call when they came out. I didn't complain much about that I am just happy to not have to pay 750. Down to the boat shop I go.
'04 187FS 4.3MPI Merc
'05 Mustang GT Premium
'06 Honda Pilot EXL
ummgood

Postby RLS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:09 pm

That's great news for you. Have fun at the boat shop!

rex
RLS
HELOTES, TEXAS
2007 187LS
RLS

Return to The Lounge