Sad Day in our Homestead....

This forum is for all the discussions not related to boating.

Sad Day in our Homestead....

Postby brindez » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:52 pm

We had to put down our wonderful 12 year old Samoyed dog "Moses" yesterday, due to cancer. :cry:

We will miss him dearly, as he was a wonderful & loyal "son" to our family.....truly a gift from God.

Yes, the kids are already thinking about the next dog to share their love. Looking for a medium-sized (30-40lb) "water" dog, to bring along on the boat. Thinking of a Brittany Spaniel because of there intelligence and loyalty to family and children. We can never replace Moses, however, look forward to sharing new memories with our next dog.....

Brokenhearted,
The Swede Tamale Crew :(
2006 242LS "Swede Tamale II" Red/Opal
5.7Gi Volvo/Penta SS Duoprop (280 hp)
Premium Stereo w/Transom Remote
Extended Swim Step w/ Freshwater Shower
13th Floor Red Tower w/ Red Apollo Speakers
Pulled by: 05' Durango 5.7L 335HP Hemi V8
brindez

Interests: 0

Postby Chappy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Sorry to hear your news. We had to put our lab down a few months ago, so I know what you are going through.
06 Caravelle 207LS, 5.7 Volvo Gi 280hp, 19p SS Enertia Prop, Factory tower, Swim platform, 600W system with 10" sub, Black band hull.
Pulling with a 2011 Texas Edition Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2008 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
Chappy

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:04 am

I feel your sadness Dez. Sorry for your loss.
HOT PURSUIT

Postby mjb929rr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:26 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Our 2 dogs are like our kids and I cant imagine how tough it would be. My parents raise brittney spaniels and they are great dogs. We hunt a lot of pheasant and quail and they are great pointers and will retrieve too. At the end of the day though they can come in the house and be great house dogs. I would highly recommend one.
2001 212 Interceptor 350mag Bravo 1
mjb929rr

Postby brindez » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:14 am

Thank you dearly for your kind words gentlemen. I think it is especially hard not to see his white fur face with black eyes and black nose poking through the front gate when coming home..... :(

And thank you Mjb929rr, for the recommendation.....we're not going to use a Brittany for hunting, but we've been reading on the breed on how intelligent they are, good swimmers, and how good they are as a "lap" dog at the end of a day. I just wish there were more breeders in California....seems like most of them are back east....a little leary about having them "shipped" out here...but I guess that's how some breeds arrive.

We are an active family, and it seems like the best breed to have. However, we also want an "indoor" dog at the end of the day that we can just watch tv with!

Again, thanks for your kind words friends....still feel like we have to get up early to feed our dog, and make sure the gate is closed..... sigh...:cry:

Hugs,
Dezi & crew
brindez

Postby m_snow » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:55 am

Very sad day.

I went on vacation and had a neighbor look after my 7 year old Blue and Gold Macaw (they live 50- 70 years). It ran out of water and my neighbor didn't notice.

Died one day before I got back and got the news on the way home from the airport.

Was an incredibly sad time as that bird LOVED me and would follow me everywhere. She sas very animated, talked, potty trained and would groom me. Never had a cage. My very special partner.

I feel your loss. I immediately went an bought 2 baby Macaws to try and replace the hole left by my Blu. They're not the same but do help to ease the loss.

Remember the good times and know that everything is but for a short while.

Mark in ATL
m_snow

Postby sdk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 am

:cry: Sorry to hear of your loss.

A Brittany or a Springer would be a good water/boating dog.
2005 Caravelle Interceptor 232 BR SS
350 MAGMPI, Bravo 1
2014 Stingray 2LT Coupe
sdk

Postby Nuckle » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:40 am

Sorry to hear of your loss Brindez. We recently had to put one of our dogs down and it is tough. He was my wifes dog and lived 15 years (we been together for 8). We quickly got anther dog and that really helped her get over the loss. Our new dog had the perfect personality to help with the healing.

Now it is Zack and Bodie, 2 90+ lbs labrador retrievers. Zack is 11 years old and Bodie is 2.

A Brittany is a great dog. They are very smart and love the water. They are very high spirited most of the time so make sure you have plenty of time to play with them.

R.I.P. Moses

Nuck
Nuckle

Postby brindez » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:20 pm

All you guys are gentlemen.....thank you all for your kind words.

And, thanks for the encouragement of the Brittany breed......I think we are making the right choice. Today I called a reputable pet shop owner who is looking to get a AKC Brittany for us. Hopefully, we can receive a new little puppy in the next month or so. The kids already have a name for it....Winchester! :)

The boys are not into any sports (music & engineering!), so afternoons will be spent training the puppy! There is a glimmer of hope in our home just yet....

Thanks again for your heartfelt sincerity....it is much appreciated....only a animal lover knows how hard it is to lose them.....sigh.

Friends,
Dezi and the crew....
brindez

Postby taffy3 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 pm

It's so difficult to make the decision to put a pet down. Not only are you dealing with the loss of a family member, but also the weight of having to take the action. Difficult as it was, I'm sure you did what was right.

Regards,

T3
2006 Caravelle 187. 1973 Silverton 27' dual station cruiser fully restored Thermoelectron powered, Borg/Warner Velvet Drive w/Walters V-drive.
taffy3

Postby 496 reasons to hold on » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Dezi and Crew

Sorry for your loss dogs are family memebers. We have 12 year old female German Shepard that goes to the lake with us. Not really a water dog but is good with the kids and a true friend.

Sorry again for you loss
2008 Interceptor SC 496 Bravo 1
496 reasons to hold on

Postby singintheblue » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 pm

Dezi,
I'm very sorry to hear about Moses.
I was raised on a farm and have had dogs all my life. The sweetest, most gentle, best behaved dog I ever owned was a Brittany Spaniel we got from the animal shelter.
Good luck.

Singin
"Good eatin' size" is a term used only by those who catch small fish.

2000 Caravelle 212BR Interceptor 5.0 Gi Volvo Penta
250 HP, 1.6 ratio, 17P Revolution 4
2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V-8 270 HP 7200 lb. towing
singintheblue

Postby gdubya » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:17 am

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

My sympathy goes out to you and your family,
Glenn Wright
It's an obsession,, coupled with a sickness!
gdubya

Postby wayswin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. I can only imagine.
Master, 25 Gross Tons
OUPV up to 100 Gross Tons
1975 Caravelle 21ft Cuddy
Former - Coast Guard Marine Science Technician, 10 years.
Search and Rescue-Boating Safety-Marine Inspection
wayswin

Postby dsstephens » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:08 pm

tough stuff. I've been there when it was time for our beagle to go to the big dog house.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
David
2006 242LS, 5.7 Gi
2010 Tundra
dsstephens

Next

Return to The Lounge