Crazy thought on carpet replacement?

This forum is for discussions of Caravelle Replacement Parts - where to get them, etc.

Crazy thought on carpet replacement?

Postby garth.l » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 am

I'm new to the forum and first of all thanks for all the great info. I'm in the process of purchashing a 2001 interceptor 232. The carpet in the boat could use replacing which got me to thinking. What about removing the carpet, installing marideck vinyl or equivalent, running it up the sides a couple of inches and then drilling in snaps using stainless toggle bolts(sealing with silicone) and fabricating my own snap in carpet to go over the vinyl. crazy or genious? Your thoughts please.
garth.l

Interests: 0

Postby drme4x4 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:41 pm

My only concern is removable carpet typically has a edge sewn into it to prevent unraveling.
drme4x4

Re: Crazy thought on carpet replacement?

Postby Flyguy242BR » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:34 pm

garth.l wrote:I'm new to the forum and first of all thanks for all the great info. I'm in the process of purchashing a 2001 interceptor 232. The carpet in the boat could use replacing which got me to thinking. What about removing the carpet, installing marideck vinyl or equivalent, running it up the sides a couple of inches and then drilling in snaps using stainless toggle bolts(sealing with silicone) and fabricating my own snap in carpet to go over the vinyl. crazy or genious? Your thoughts please.

That is a lot of work just to cover it up with carpet.

My thoughts:
Take the old carpet out, stip off the old glue, clean the surface and just go with a good quality snap-in carpet.

Reason:
The seems between the vinyl may eventually seperate allowing water, dirt or other substances to get under it. Plus, as I said above, that is a lot of work to cover it up.

So, in short, I would go with snap in carpet and not place the vinyl down
<OR>
Place the vinyl down and not place carpet over it.

I'm not understanding the stainless steel toogle bolts though, why?
EX-2006 Caravelle 242 LS
496 MAG Bravo 1, Captain's Call, & other "Optional Features."
Flyguy242BR

Postby 02blkws6 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 pm

If you cover with vinyl and water does get under it, the floor will never dry under the vinyl.
02blkws6

Return to Caravelle Replacement Parts