Pedestal Installaion - Any thoughts?

This forum is for discussions of Caravelle Replacement Parts - where to get them, etc.

Pedestal Installaion - Any thoughts?

Postby Mirage217 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Like many of you that have commented, it appears Caravelle didn't install the right height of pedestal. I have located & purchased a new adjustable pedestal 12"-15" Garelick, but after looking through the ski locker I wonder how the _ _ _ _ I can remove and re-install it. Only 3/4" space to access from the locker. I haven't removed the side panel, but I can only assume it is the next approach for room to get underneath.

Has anyone replaced their pedestal and from what location - ski locker side or side panel? Any hints would be welcome.

Thanks!

:?:
Mirage217

Interests: 0

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Just did HP's cause the stock mounts were junk! Used the same dealies Caravelle did when they installed them. They are like a toggle bolt with long extensions made of nylon. Favorite hardware store here is WI had them in stock Worked very slick. Of course the old ones are down in the nether parts of the hull SOMEWHERE :shock:
HOT PURSUIT

Postby MDO » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 am

http://www.hilti.com/holcom/page/module ... eId=-11623

I believe, these are what he is talking about.[/url]
'95 232 Interceptor 5.7
MDO

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 am

That's the ones :lol: Thanks MDO!

HP
HOT PURSUIT

Postby cclements716 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:41 pm

I used the same thing on a couple of my boats. I dont remember where i found them but a company makes some that are stainless. Everything i ever use is stainless on boats just hate to have to redo anything because of rust.
cclements716

Postby taffy3 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:39 am

You could do it with the anchors but there is another way. That pedestal base is probably 9" wide, right? Regardless, it's round. You can purchase a piece of composite material like this:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... d+1%2F2%22

Cut a nice round piece and route the edge with a round over bit to pretty it up. Place the new piece in your boat and mark it's position. Using a hole saw (or a jig saw in a pinch) cut a relatively small hole through the boats floor, in this case maybe 4", centering the access hole in the spot where you'll be installing the new 9" pad. Place the composite pad in position and drill appropriate holes through the pad and the existing boat floor. Install stainless steel t-nuts like these:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/SSN-252 ... l-Tee-Nuts

Place your new pad on the floor, make sure everything's lined up, run a bead of 3M 4200 under the pad (between the floor and the pad) and another bead between the pad and the pedestal base. Tighten down the machine screws and you're done. Bullet proof.

BTW, if the floor is wood you'll want to seal the edge of the hole you cut with epoxy to keep water out. Since you cannot hammer in the t-nuts you can use a fender washer and a machine bolt to draw them in. Use a bit of epoxy on the t-nuts as well to eliminate any chance of water getting into your floor.

Regards,

T3
2006 Caravelle 187. 1973 Silverton 27' dual station cruiser fully restored Thermoelectron powered, Borg/Warner Velvet Drive w/Walters V-drive.
taffy3

Return to Caravelle Replacement Parts