Spotted a few Caravelle's out on Lake Austin yesterday

Post discussions and plans for special events, outings, and get-togethers with other boaters.

Spotted a few Caravelle's out on Lake Austin yesterday

Postby mar0170 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Out on Lake Austin yesterday and while docked right in front of Emma Long/City Park saw a Caravelle (maybe 21 or 22 ft) that was towing a tube behind it. My first Caravelle sighting on the lake, well later while under 360 Bridge I spotted my first Interceptor (yellow). Good to see these boats out there.

Stayed for the fireworks show there at the 360 bridge which was coo (kids loved it), only problem was leaving after they were done. 200 plus boats in the dark with little light, lucky it was a full moon. I love being on the water at night, but this was a little stressful. I was one of the hand full of boats that started heading back towards Hula Hut immediately after the show. When I got to the ramp only 2 other people there so was able to tie up to the dock run up and get my truck. Pulled up to back up my boat and both spots were taken so a 10 min wait. By the time I got my truck backed up and trailer in the water the area was a mad house.. The BLUE LEDS I installed on the trailer were a big hit. The loading of the boat was pretty quick seeing how I had to do it alone. Wife not so well with driving boat or truck w/trailer. So one man show... just glad I got a jump on the crowd cause we would have been there for at least 2 hours waiting to take the boat out.

Ok, so on the water I must have thrown my anchor out about 50 times but boat wound stay put, keep drifting. thinking I might have the wrong type of anchor. Using a Marine Raider 20 lb. Navy Anchor is for use with boats up to 24' long in soft to moderate water conditions.

Mark
Austin, Texas
2003 Caravelle 242 LS
2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4x4
2015 Ford F-250 FX4
mar0170

Interests: 0

Postby joewithaboat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:03 pm

We went to a small local lake that had no professional fire works on it, but you have a clear view of them in the distance from every direction. All of the beach areas had amateur ones as well. We had a good time. We didn't want to fight the crowds.

I use an anchor that came with our used boat. Never had the exact type before and did not have much hope for it working well. Its not very heavy. As it turns out it grabs on the first try more often than not. Mud, sand, or rocky. It holds amazingly well. A few times in very heavy winds. It even retrieves easily, as you pull on it the boat moves toward its location and when pressure comes from directly overhead it releases. It of course wouldn't work on solid rock bottom but we dont see that much.

The one thing that took some getting used to was you have to drop& drift or throw out a good distance out, let it grab good and then shorten up the distance if need be.

Not sure of the brand or weight but it looks like this one.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... or&Ntk=All
1996 1900BR 4.3merc/gen2 alpha

Hoping for an Interceptor in my future
joewithaboat

Postby Larry R » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey mar,

not exactly sure where you were trying to anchor on the lake but many areas on lake Austin are along a solid rock bottom. Near each shore is typically sand but up river especially past the park the middle of the lake is like I said a solid rock bottom.

Also, if they are releasing water from Mansfield dam you might not have been able to get a bite so in these cases, you might have to pitch the anchor closer to the bank in order to get any footing.

Additionally, you might have to feed out twice to three times as much line as the depth of the water too, this will help the anchor drag a little before taking hold.

Larry R
2003 232 "Interceptor" Bow Rider - 5.7 320hp
Larry R

Postby Flyguy242BR » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 pm

I had a Navy type anchor that came with a boat I had, and hated it.

The "dansforth" type are the most popular, but I have used "The digger" anchor for about 4 years now and this anchor wil hold a freaking house.
You don't need an anchor chain, just rope and hardware (D-ring/shackle etc..)

This past weekend I had my boat (23') a 25' twin engine center consol and a Baja 252 on my anchor with moderate winds and had no problems.

It cost a little more than what you would spend on other anchors, bit well worth the money. I paid $83 for mine of Amazon.
EX-2006 Caravelle 242 LS
496 MAG Bravo 1, Captain's Call, & other "Optional Features."
Flyguy242BR

Re: Spotted a few Caravelle's out on Lake Austin yesterday

Postby Jax » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:06 pm

mar0170 wrote:Out on Lake Austin yesterday and while docked right in front of Emma Long/City Park saw a Caravelle (maybe 21 or 22 ft) that was towing a tube behind it. My first Caravelle sighting on the lake, well later while under 360 Bridge I spotted my first Interceptor (yellow). Good to see these boats out there.

:

Ok, so on the water I must have thrown my anchor out about 50 times but boat wound stay put, keep drifting. thinking I might have the wrong type of anchor. Using a Marine Raider 20 lb. Navy Anchor is for use with boats up to 24' long in soft to moderate water conditions.

Mark

We were on the north shore, kind of diagonal (to the east) across from the Orchestra. I thought I saw a blue Caravelle go by. Not an interceptor. Having the boat there would have been great, although we were sitting in our hotel room in the A/C with a bottle of wine not more than 15 minutes after the finale -- so that was nice.

Speaking of finale, what did you think about it? My wife and I just looked at each other and said, "Was that it?" She told me to film the finale for her mom, and by the time I clicked record on the phone, it was over.

Anyway, great location and show. We enjoyed it.

I use a 30 pounder. I drop it in upside down or sideways so that the bell shape doesn't hit the bottom first. If it lands on its side, it usually drags until it catches a ledge or something. If it lands with the round side down, it'll never catch.

-Jack
2007 217LS
Volvo 5.0L GXi 270hp
Apollo XHS HP SS 14 1/4 X 20 prop
Jax

Postby mar0170 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:24 pm

well if you were watching the ones at the 360 Bridge that were put on by Austin Country Club then they were ok, I right under the bridge, moving up as my anchor was not doing its job. towards the end of the show we had moved closer but by no means were we right under them. Thing with being to close is you get &%@# in your eyes and &%@# landing in your boat from the fireworks. The kids really enjoyed the show, I was too busy making sure I didn’t float into someone’s boat or just moving around. Pain in the ass, almost tossed the freaking thing in without the rope I was so pissed.

didn’t know they had a hotel by the 360 Bridge.. Didn’t see an Orchestra, couldn’t hear them if I did see them since we had our own music along with everyone else’s radios going.
Austin, Texas
2003 Caravelle 242 LS
2015 Ford F-250 FX4
mar0170

Re: Spotted a few Caravelle's out on Lake Austin yesterday

Postby Jax » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Jax wrote:We were on the north shore, kind of diagonal (to the east) across from the Orchestra. I thought I saw a blue Caravelle go by. Not an interceptor. Having the boat there would have been great, although we were sitting in our hotel room in the A/C with a bottle of wine not more than 15 minutes after the finale -- so that was nice.

Speaking of finale, what did you think about it? My wife and I just looked at each other and said, "Was that it?" She told me to film the finale for her mom, and by the time I clicked record on the phone, it was over.

Anyway, great location and show. We enjoyed it.

I use a 30 pounder. I drop it in upside down or sideways so that the bell shape doesn't hit the bottom first. If it lands on its side, it usually drags until it catches a ledge or something. If it lands with the round side down, it'll never catch.

-Jack

Well, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. (Old and easily confused.)

We were up on the north shore of Lake Austin earlier in the afternoon. That's where we saw the blue Caravelle.

Much later, we were on Town Lake to watch the fireworks. These were right by downtown off East 1st (Chavez) across from Auditorium Shores. We watched by the Congress street bridge. These were put on by the Austin Symphony Orchestra. The music was good and the fireworks were good, too... just the finale was a little short.
2007 217LS
Volvo 5.0L GXi 270hp
Apollo XHS HP SS 14 1/4 X 20 prop
Jax

Postby mar0170 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Yes i was able to see some of the fireworks from the water on Lake Austin as we were heading down to Hula Hut to take the boat out.
Austin, Texas
2003 Caravelle 242 LS
2015 Ford F-250 FX4
mar0170

Return to Events, Outings & Get-Togethers