2011 Caravelle Owners Texas Gathering

Post discussions and plans for special events, outings, and get-togethers with other boaters.

2011 Caravelle Owners Texas Gathering

Postby Larry R » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

UPDATE

OK, Lake Travis isn’t looking so good as I write to all of you. The lake is about 20’ low and there are only two ramps still in the water!

I have found the Horseshoe Bay Resort on Lake LBJ (just up river from Lake Travis and a constant level lake) has plenty of vacancies, marina and other amenities that many of you may be interested in. I think their rates are slightly higher than Lakeway was – they are - $289.00 per night and a $40.00 marina fee. The same dates are available July 15, 16 !!!

Lake LBJ is a large lake, not as large as Travis, but good size! My former boss has a home on the water there and said there are several places to eat and of course supports all the standard water activity (skiing, wake boarding, anchoring ~ swimming etc.)

SO, if I may suggest, we consider moving to Lake LBJ ~ Suggestions, comments!

Here is the link to the resort: https://hsbresort.com/

Larry R
2003 232 "Interceptor" Bow Rider - 5.7 320hp
Larry R

Interests: 0

Postby RLS » Wed May 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Here is a link if anyone one is interested in other places to stay. We rent a house at Lake LBJ every summer. The lake is pretty easy to find your way around. There are two rivers that feed into it the Colorado and the Llano. The Llano has some great places to swim with a sandy bottom. Both rivers are that far from Horse Shoe Bay.

http://www.lake-lbj.net/
RLS
HELOTES, TEXAS
2007 187LS
RLS

Postby Larry R » Fri May 27, 2011 1:31 pm

More info on the one public ramp!

Granite Beach Recreation Area has a boat ramp on the south shore of Lake LBJ. Next door is Granite Beach, which has a boat club and marina, rental cabins, meeting and conference facilities, picnic tables, a restaurant, water park and sail and ski rentals. LCRA leases the property to private operators.For more information, visit the Web site.
Reservations:
The Granite Beach Recreation Area is privately operated - call (830) 693-9172 or visit www.lakelbjmarina.com for reservations.

They have cabins here too and from the prices - not too bad!!

Check it out!
Larry R

Postby RLS » Fri May 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Their rates are pretty reasonable. I have seen it from the water it looks pretty nice.
RLS
HELOTES, TEXAS
2007 187LS
RLS

Postby 95LSDIY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:52 pm

I saw we move it to Lake Whitney! Way less traffic, centrally located, and plenty of boat ramps as well, also lodging would be pretty cheap due to small town, not to mention 4-5ft water clarity! LAKE WHITNEY!!
95LSDIY

Postby Larry R » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Yeh, we met there last year and by popular vote (meaning those floating in the river) voted for lake Travis for the 2011 gathering.

Well that was looking good until about a month ago ~ now only 2 of 11 public boat ramps still reach the water.

So we moved it to LBJ - for those who make it this year - I'm sure we'll have another popular vote for the 2012 location. For me - I'd like to submit Possum Kindgom - I hear that place is really nice and by then they will have rebuilt from this years fire damage.

Larry R
Larry R

Postby Larry R » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25 am

Boy, it's gonna be hard to beat HP's post about their gathering but -

ONE MONTH away for the TEXAS Caravelle boat owners gathering! :D :D

:lol: :lol: Lake LBJ - July 16th :lol: :lol: :lol:

Places to stay:
Horseshoe Bay Resort ~ https://hsbresort.com/
Granite Beach Recreation Area ~ www.lakelbjmarina.com

This is a family event - last years event was great!

Larry R

How about we all gather around 10am out in front of the Granite Beach Marina??
Larry R

Postby Larry R » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 am

Good thing we moved to Lake LBJ!

Falling water levels in Lake Travis and Lake Buchanan are creating more water hazards, prompting authorities to close another public launch ramp and caution boaters of emerging hazards.

Lake Travis is 24 feet below what it normally is in June, so boaters and swimmers might encounter rocks and large drops they're not used to, said Bob Rose, the Lower Colorado River Authority's chief meteorologist. Lake Travis is 55 percent full at 647.4 feet deep; Lake Buchanan, at 64 percent full, is 10 feet below its average 1,004.7 feet depth.

"There's still a lot of water" in Lake Travis, said Don Brent, LCRA chief of public safety. "But this place is constantly changing."

Boats in Lake Travis are running aground more than usual, he said, and accidents are more common at night when shallow areas are practically invisible. Most damage is minor and to the hull, propeller or motor.

Larry R
Larry R

Postby Jax » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:20 am

We just spent about 4 days on LBJ and it was awesome. Wish we could be there but we're headed up to Banff to escape the Texas heat! You guys are going to have a blast. LBJ is our favorite.

If someone is looking for a cheap place to stay, with docks, Heart of Texas Resort (RV, cabins, rooms, etc.) is up the Colorado arm. Some of their cheapest rooms are spartan (concrete block) but they have A/C, full kitchen, etc. Nice concrete slips, but they are unprotected from waves, so you have to tie off smartly.

Have fun and POST PICTURES!
2007 217LS
Volvo 5.0L GXi 270hp
Apollo XHS HP SS 14 1/4 X 20 prop
Jax

Hazard Tip for LBJ

Postby Jax » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am

For those of you going to LBJ for the first time, even though LBJ is constant level, has some areas out in the lake that are VERY shallow. Not all are marked.

Right now, if you call up Google maps on your smart phone, the photos were taken when they had lowered the lake level for maintenance. So, if you are in "water" on the maps, you are in at least 3 feet of water. If it shows you close to the white shoreline, you are very close to the 3 feet depth mark.

It was amazing that as soon as we hit the shoreline on Google maps, the alarm would go off every time. This trick does NOT work for going up the Llano river arm.

No substitute for a little study time of the lake map. Even on "constant level" LBJ, it could save you a prop... or more.
2007 217LS
Volvo 5.0L GXi 270hp
Apollo XHS HP SS 14 1/4 X 20 prop
Jax

Postby Larry R » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:29 pm

How about a roll call - who all is planning on making the Lake LBJ gathering?

I heard from BBCoon this morning and he is most likely not going to be able to make it.

Soooooo - Let's hear from ya!

I'm in!
Larry R
Larry R

Postby larrym » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm in for a day trip, Granite Beach Marine, out front at 10 AM. May look for someplace to have a bite to eat before, maybe on the road. Coming from Georgetown.
2001 Caravelle 212BR Interceptor
8-71 Blown ProStreet '68 Nova SS
2012 40' 5th Wheel 3750FL Big Sky
2009 Chevy Duramax
2009 Nissan Murano
2 Golden Retrievers
Semper Fi
larrym

Re: Hazard Tip for LBJ

Postby larrym » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Jax wrote:For those of you going to LBJ for the first time, even though LBJ is constant level, has some areas out in the lake that are VERY shallow. Not all are marked.

Right now, if you call up Google maps on your smart phone, the photos were taken when they had lowered the lake level for maintenance. So, if you are in "water" on the maps, you are in at least 3 feet of water. If it shows you close to the white shoreline, you are very close to the 3 feet depth mark.

It was amazing that as soon as we hit the shoreline on Google maps, the alarm would go off every time. This trick does NOT work for going up the Llano river arm.

No substitute for a little study time of the lake map. Even on "constant level" LBJ, it could save you a prop... or more.

Do you mean Goggle Earth???
2001 Caravelle 212BR Interceptor
8-71 Blown ProStreet '68 Nova SS
2012 40' 5th Wheel 3750FL Big Sky
2009 Chevy Duramax
2009 Nissan Murano
2 Golden Retrievers
Semper Fi
larrym

Postby dancaravelle267 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Well, it happened again....I have only had three flights in the last four weeks and that left me with a ton of time off! But Murphy's Law just took over. For the second year in a row I have been scheduled to fly on the Saturday of our gathering. So, in less my trip is cancelled, I will not make the LBJ Gathering. I was looking forward to meeting everone. Maybe next year. Have fun!
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Postby Larry R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Dan no problem - I fully understand about work and changing schedules.

At this point, not sure who'll be there - I've talked to LarryM recently and I talked to 496 Reasons to Hold on about a month ago. I know LarryM is in but not sure about anyone else.

If things change, you'll know where to find us on Saturday.

Larry R
Larry R

Next

Return to Events, Outings & Get-Togethers