The Enertia Myth - Busted

The propeller on your boat has a big impact on the performance of your boat. This is the place to discuss this subject.

The Enertia Myth - Busted

Postby iammarcuse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:47 am

I did some prop testing over the summer with my 232 Interceptor and thought I would share the results. The boat has a 320 HP 6.2L Mercruiser with a Bravo One drive. All speeds are GPS and rounded to the the nearest 1/2 mph as different runs gave different decimals as the condition changed. The results are as follows:

Props :------------------------20 Enertia-------------22 Enertia-----------21 Vengeance------------21 Mirage

Holeshot---------------------- Excellent --------------Very Good------------Excellent-------------------Very Good

3000 RPM ---------------------27 mph-----------------30 mph---------------31 mph--------------------33 mph

4000 RPM----------------------39 mph-----------------43 mph---------------42.5 mph------------------44 mph

RPM @ WOT-------------------5,400--------------------5100------------------5200----------------------5100
-----------------------------Hit Rev Limiter
GPS speed WOT---------------55.5--------------------57.5------------------58-------------------------60
Speedo reading----------------61-----------------------63---------------------63------------------------- 65

When I bought the boat several people on here said scrap the Vengeance and get an Enertia. From what I had heard the Enertia was hard to turn and so I bought the 20p. The thing spun to the moon. I could hit the rev limiter without even trimming up. Holeshot was excellent of course but it was too small a prop. The 22 Enertia still had great holeshot but was much improved cruise speeds. Grip is outstanding and it never blows out, I can trim it right up to the top. However it does not run any faster than when it is at neutral trim which is half way up on my gauge. The Vengeance was a surprise. It looks like such a tiny low tech thing that I never even tried it until last week. Holeshot was excellent and i could trim it pretty high (3/4) before it starts to slip. It matched the cruise of the 22 Enertia and was slightly faster at WOT. Nothing wrong with this prop guys. The dark horse in this race has been the 21 Mirage plus. It actually is 23 pitched down to a 21. It had the worst holeshot until I put large PVS plugs in and that woke it right up. In the interests of disclosure, I have removed my Captains Call exhaust and have full time through prop exhaust. Its all about quiet to me. That does mean that I get the benefit of PVS tweaking. The Mirage has the best cruise numbers and is a fair bit faster on top being the only one to get me to 60 MPH. The big downside with the Mirage is it does not like to be trimmed. As soon as I go past 1/2 (neutral) it slips. Therefore it doesn't lift the bow as much either. But it was just plain faster and I found myself using the Mirage more often than not. I only paid $125 for it. My conclusion: The benefits of the Enertia are marginal at best. Although a great prop, to be honest I am a bit disappointed that it was not vastly superior. If I had known what I do now, I think I would have just stayed with the Vengeance and saved myself some money. Myth busted.
Last edited by iammarcuse on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iammarcuse

Interests: 0

Re: The Enertia Myth - Busted

Postby AndrewT » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 am

Thanks for sharing the information , and running such comprehensive tests :beer:
2005 Interceptor 212
Volvo 5.0 GXi 270hp
21P 14.5 3B SS prop and 19P 4B SS for wakeboarding and tubing.
AndrewT

Postby iammarcuse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:34 am

Well, it seems that I need to make a slight correction. I hauled out the boat after being in the slip all summer. Turns out it has a 1.65 gear ratio Bravo drive. I had assumed it was 1:50. Not sure why they would have put this drive on the bigger 6.2L motor and then shipped it with a 21P Vengeance... but that's what it is. This would explain why my RPMs are so much higher than others with similar power and why the boat leaps out of the hole with any of these props.
It also explains why the Enertia props did not perform as well. They will do better on a 1.50 gear case as they will be spinning faster. The smaller props need to spin faster to push bigger boats. The Mirage on the other hand, being a bigger diameter prop, would benefit from the 1.65 gears. Results might differ with the 1.50 gearcase but I still think the Enertia is a little too small in diameter for the 232. I ran down the lake 10 miles over the weekend. Used the 22 Enerta there and the Mirage coming back. The Enertia needed 2700 RPM to give me a nice level cruise of 25 mph whereas the Mirage did the same at 2400. It just seems to push stronger at every rpm. Hope my observations can be of some help to others. Cheers Mark
iammarcuse

Postby iammarcuse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:35 pm

I came across a similar prop test that was done on this site a few years ago by BobbyCamaro. Here are his results with a 350Mag and 1.50 Bravo drive. I have reposted mine with the 6.2L and 1.65 gearcase right underneath for comparison purposes.

Props :-----------------21 Vengence-------- ---20 Enertia---------21 Enertia

RPM @ 30 MPH---------------3,000---------------3,150----------------3,100

RPM @ 40 MPH---------------3,750---------------3,900----------------3,800
-
RPM @ 50 MPH---------------4,600---------------4,800----------------4,700

RPM @ WOT------------------5,200---------------5,250----------------5,100

GPS speed WOT--------------58.1----------------57.5-----------------58.7

SPEEDO WOT------------------65------------------64-------------------66

Props :------------------------20 Enertia-------------22 Enertia-----------21 Vengeance------------21 Mirage

Holeshot---------------------- Excellent --------------Very Good------------Excellent-------------------Very Good

3000 RPM ---------------------27 mph-----------------30 mph---------------31 mph--------------------33 mph

4000 RPM----------------------39 mph-----------------43 mph---------------42.5 mph------------------44 mph

RPM @ WOT-------------------5,400--------------------5100------------------5200----------------------5100
-----------------------------Hit Rev Limiter
GPS speed WOT---------------55.5--------------------57.5------------------58-------------------------60
Speedo reading----------------61-----------------------63---------------------63------------------------- 65
iammarcuse

Return to Prop Talk