19p 4 blade aluminum review, 4.3GL

The propeller on your boat has a big impact on the performance of your boat. This is the place to discuss this subject.

19p 4 blade aluminum review, 4.3GL

Postby bunker108 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:01 pm

I put on an aluminum 4 blade 19p to replace a 3 blade 21p aluminum.

The 21 worked fine but I had trouble planing out loaded heavy with the family and camping gear. Once on plane i could still spin 4600...light a little over 5k. I wanted to plane quicker even near capacity.

I was super happy with the performance of the four blade Solas. The boat will now jump on plane. The true test was an afternoon cruise with seven grown men on board. No problems planing at all. I think a four blade SS would be ideal.

Here is my concern. At 4600 rpm with the four blade I am only getting 38mph on my phone gps(free iPhone app). Lake Powell is currently at 4000k of elevation. I didn't ever gps top speed with the 21p. So is my prop slip is super high or is this what I should expect from a 4 blade prop, with a 4.3 at 4000'?

Motor seems to be running great...new plugs...fuel/water separator. It is responsive, pulls hard and runs great at all

Tach also seems to be accurate but will try to get a digital one to verify that.

What do you all think?
bunker108

Interests: 0

Postby 02blkws6 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm

What is the gear ratio of you outdrive?

I have a 5.0FL with 1.66 outdrive, 19p SS prop that runs right around 50mph.
02blkws6

Postby bunker108 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:50 pm

I will have to double check but I think it is the 1.79 ratio. I just did a slip calculation and it looks like I am not too far off with that ratio. That puts my slip at 17% which is high but cold be due to tach or gps variations.

I have a 19p 3 blade SS but it didn't fit...think it needs a different thrust washer. I would like to try that prop next trip.
bunker108

Re: 19p 4 blade aluminum review, 4.3GL

Postby bunker108 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Just got back from another trip to the lake and got to make some observations with the four blade 19p aluminum Solas.

The trip up lake fully loaded with a full tank of gas, (camping gear for 4)coolers, EZ up, tent, cot, sleeping bags, clothes, a few gallons of water...etc...two adults and two kids on board I was spinning 4600 rpm full throttle. We made a 25 mile trip each way loaded this way.

The next evening with just myself and my two year old on board with a half tank of gas I was at 42mph and 4800 rpm and had a little left in the throttle. The water was calm with no wind.

So...I think that I am right where I need to be with a decent balance of ability to plane fully loaded and top end.

I just need to save now for a SS four blade 19p.
bunker108

Return to Prop Talk