Best place for prop repair/tuning?

The propeller on your boat has a big impact on the performance of your boat. This is the place to discuss this subject.

Best place for prop repair/tuning?

Postby zcd2.7t » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59 am

Hello all, hope everyone in the Northern Hemisphere is making it through winter OK. Can't wait to get back out there on the water in the spring....

The (OEM) SS prop on my Volvo 5.7Gxi has various small dings on the leading edges and ends of the blades. I'd like to have the prop restored to as-new condition, plus perhaps have it tweaked a bit for optimal performance. My local marina sent out another SS prop I own for repair/reworking last year, and the results were awful - terrible performance, vibration, just really bad.

I recall hearing about a shop in the Houston area years ago that had developed a proprietary technique for tweaking SS props which restulted in better performance in almost all conditions, but I haven't been able to figure out who that might have been.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a shop that can be trusted to do a good job, and who has experience getting the most out of a prop?

TIA for any suggestions...
zcd2.7t

Interests: 0

Postby 04red207 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Not sure about proprietary techniques, but you may look at Mike Hood Props which is in Houston. They build their own SS props. Only place my friends and I will use for prop work.

http://www.mikehoodprops.com/
2004 Caravelle 207LS
04red207

Postby buyfire » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm

if you're just looking for a tuneup i'm sure you could find someone closer/cheaper. but if you want to do something a little more exotic............. http://bblades.com/
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby zcd2.7t » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks, guys - much appreciated.

I did a bit more research after I posted and it seems that the shop I was talking about is long gone after taking a bunch of people's money and doing a hack job on their props.... (!!!)

Seems like bblades might be the ticket for me - in Wisconsin, so not far from me, and they're offering a discounted labor rate until the end of February!
zcd2.7t

Postby 95LSDIY » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm

I use B&B Propellers in Fort Worth Texas. They have been pretty good and reasonably priced. But when it comes to aluminum props I could have a new one shipped to me for like $10 more than the repair if I already had a hub kit laying around. So usually I went that route.
95LSDIY

Return to Prop Talk