Trailer Tires

From your towing rig to trailer brakes. This is the place to discuss towing and trailering.

Trailer Tires

Postby charcoal1500 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Need to get some new shoes on the boat trailer. Lot's of opinions on tires online...You would think they all are terrible and none work! From what I can tell the majority of the issues seem to be people towing way over recommended speed rating for the trailer tire and typically under inflated (also probably over capicty once the boat is loaded with everything that doesn't fit in the tow vehicle). With that does anybody have some pros and con's to either the Carlisle or Good Year Marathon tires?

They are both within the same price range. Looking for some experience from folks not pulling with under inflated, over loaded tires way above speed rating across the Southern California, Nevada and Arizona desert. As that seems to be where most of the reviews are coming from that I see.

Thanks.
2008 217 LS
charcoal1500

Interests: 0

Re: Trailer Tires

Postby buyfire » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:19 am

You'll see great and horrible reviews for both. Luck of the draw. They're both made in China. Buy whichever is cheapest.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby Fredcollett » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 pm

I run Kumho 825 trailer tires
great tires wear good pull good for sure balance your tire and rims
Fredcollett

Postby youmansjason01 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:17 pm

My trailer came new with the Carlisle Sport Trail tires (Bias ply), and had no issues with them for 8 years. Granted, most of my trailering is fairly short distance (<20 miles each way) and is non-Interstate.

Last year, I finally replaced them only because they were 8 years old. I replaced them with the steel belted radial version called Carlisle Radial Trail. So far, very impressed with the radials....much smoother riding after sitting for long periods.

I really think the key is keeping them properly inflated, which is much higher PSI than car tires. I keep mine between 45-48 PSI.
2007 Caravelle 237 LS
350 MAG 300HP with Bravo 1, Captain's Call Exhaust, Black wide band with matching Caravelle Trailer
youmansjason01

Postby JeremyB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:43 pm

I went with Yokohama Y356 tires. They're summer tires, but I don't take my boat out in the winter so that's not a problem.
Made in Japan, D (1850 lbs) load rating, S (112mph) speed rating.

Passenger/LT tires have slightly more stringent test requirements than ST tires plus a higher speed rating.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Sizes
2004 207 - 5.0 MPI
JeremyB

Postby charcoal1500 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Fredcollett wrote:I run Kumho 825 trailer tires
great tires wear good pull good for sure balance your tire and rims

Yes it amazes me how folks say you don't "need" to balance trailer tires. I always balance mine.
JeremyB wrote:I went with Yokohama Y356 tires. They're summer tires, but I don't take my boat out in the winter so that's not a problem.
Made in Japan, D (1850 lbs) load rating, S (112mph) speed rating.

Passenger/LT tires have slightly more stringent test requirements than ST tires plus a higher speed rating.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Sizes

None of the shops I have spoke with recommend going with an lt tire. I'm note sure why. My dad went with a proper lt tire on his 5th wheel and really liked it. I'm not sure it's worth it for the majority of my tow's are fairly short. just 1 or 2 longer ones a year.
2008 217 LS
charcoal1500

Postby JeremyB » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:59 am

charcoal1500 wrote:None of the shops I have spoke with recommend going with an lt tire. I'm note sure why. My dad went with a proper lt tire on his 5th wheel and really liked it. I'm not sure it's worth it for the majority of my tow's are fairly short. just 1 or 2 longer ones a year.

They're probably just CYA. Trailers require ST tires! :roll: :lol:

The only real issue you could run into with LTs is accidentally downgrading your load rating. E.g, replacing load range D ST with load range C LT. That'll make for a bad day.

My boat/trailer setup run ~1070lbs per tire and my tire is rated for 1850, so I've got quite a bit of reserve. A lot of RV setups get quite near the load limit of the tire, which contributes to blow outs and failures. I'm guessing most of our boats have a nice amount of margin.

I wish somebody would make a set of trailer TPMS that was immersion-proof. https://my-fobo.com makes some good stuff that isn't clunky and works on smart phones, but is only rated for IP57 (1m immersion).
2004 207 - 5.0 MPI
JeremyB

Return to Towing / Trailering