Back up camera...on trailer?

From your towing rig to trailer brakes. This is the place to discuss towing and trailering.

Back up camera...on trailer?

Postby msbendts » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Has anyone installed a backup camera on the back of the trailer to use for seeing behind the truck/trailer when on the road? Or used this for the boat launch?

When the boat is hooked up to my 2005 Lincoln Aviator, I have no visibility to traffic behind me...I'm blind to knowing how close others are.

I'm curious about a backup camera...
...would love to figure our how to install on my boats wakeboard tower so I could use on the road and on the water!

Thoughts??

Mike
msbendts

Interests: 0

Postby Muncie6spd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 am

This sounds like a good idea; I downsized from a F350 to an Expedition and the mirrors aren't nearly as wide as the extendable F350 mirrors. It looks like there are several available on Amazon's website: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... nics%2C150

The only problem I see with mounting it to the wakeboard tower is the fact the camera needs 12vdc power, mine has the navigation light built into the top of the tower, I guess you could get power from there but you would have to turn the light on any time you want the camera to work. It might be easier to mount it to the trailer instead.

Mike
2004 Interceptor 212 LS, Wakeboard tower, 5.0MPI:
Muncie6spd

Postby msbendts » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm finding interesting products/solutions within the RV realm, items designed for those who have a 5th Wheel Travel RV or that big-old motorhome.

Amazon has an interesting collection in that space...

This one is a 7" screen, 2-cameras, and a multiplex (up-to-3 cameras) for $320:
http://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Vision-Trailer-Fifth-Wheel/dp/B002LDQ60W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1363793072&sr=8-8&keywords=rv+backup+camera

A wireless version for $285 (has only 1-camera):
http://www.amazon.com/Rupse-Monitor-Wireless-Trailer-Fifth-Wheel/dp/B006TAOH9K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363793072&sr=8-4&keywords=rv+backup+camera

If I was to describe my desired scenario, it would be:
* screen (4-7") -- not sure I would need dual/multi image, but ability to switch cameras, I'd wire so that it will show an image at any time (not just when car is in reverse)
* camera mounted on SUV (to assist with connecting to trailer, and general backup when no trailer attached)
* camera mounted on wakeboard tower (to assist with boat launch, and most importantly the on-the-road view of rear traffic)
* something that is 'easy' to opearate (i.e. don't have to forget to power on/off)
* something that is MN weather proof (rain & snow)

The reuse of a camera on the wakeboard tower for when the boat is on the water is an intriguing one...the 'old school mirror' :) is the right option from a driver's perspective...but if a camera is already up there, it opens up the possibility of a video feed which could be recorded...so I'm starting to probe the wakeboard community to see what they might be dabbling in, and if they have jumped to reusing the camera as a backup camera...

My guess is that they are strapping the GoPro do the tower, but didn't know if anyone has walked down this path.

Mike
msbendts

Postby msbendts » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:32 pm

The more I'm thinking about this, the more I'm liking the two camera theory...

1 on the SUV/truck
- help me see behind the vehicle at any time
- help me line up hitch to the trailer
- help me back up the empty trailer (i.e. up at the launch)

1 on the trailer/boat
- help me see traffic behind me when on the road
- help me back up the loaded trailer (i.e. launch, driveway, etc.)

The question is where to mount the second camera...trailer vs. boat?

Mounting on the trailer helps with the wiring and can run off the vehicle power line (vs. the boat battery).

Not sure current backup cameras are made to be fully submerged, which is what will happen if I used typical license-plate mount backup camera.
(I wonder if there is a cheap fish camera that is designed to be submerged?)

Mounting on the boat keeps a camera out of the water, but more difficult to power...those (like me) who have a wakeboard tower have a good location to mount, for others...??

Using a wireless camera resolves the wiring problem to mount on a boat, but makes me worry about constantly replacing batteries (I fear I wouldn't remember to turn camera off after parking it in my driveway)...plus if taking a long road trip (3-4 hrs) would a battery last that long for on-the-road driving?

For my usage (when backing up or driving), the quality has to be 'good enough' for to be useful (doesn't need to be HD, or even in color for that matter)...but useful at night is worth while.

...but if a camera is on the boat, one has to ask if it could be used to feed to a recorder, so image quality (and color) and image stabilization are important specs (though night vision, not so much).

Should be intersting to research...

Looking for anyone that has thoughts or has approached this as well!

Mike
msbendts

Re: Back up camera...on trailer?

Postby dancaravelle267 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 am

I may be late on this but I did it a couple years ago on my 267 trailer. I have a post on it somewhere in here if you want to search for it. It's a wireless set up from the camera to the screen...but it still had a power wire to the camera. I wired that to the reverse power wire on the trailer so that the camera only came on when it hit reverse. Here is where I screwed up....
I didn't realize the wireless sending unit was in the power wire near the camera... It all worked for half a summer! At least my setup was second hand off my old truck. I would like to do it again...a little differently.
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Postby jwroberts76 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 pm

I installed the Peak 7" wireless license plate camera on my f-150 and I think it would work great for your boat trailer. The camera has a long lead wire that runs to the wireless transmitter that needs 12 volt power. My truck has a tow package so there is a 12 volt power source plug at the bumper and that is where I got power. Anytime the ignition is on the camera and monitor are on. You could mount the camera on the trailer and the sensor near the hitch and tie onto the reverse light wire for power. That way all the wires are on the trailer and you don't need to connect anything to your tow vehicle. Here is the best part, Peak has awesome customer service. My camera went bad after 6 months, I sent an e-mail explaining what happened and they shipped me a replacement the same day. No questions asked. http://www.peakauto.com/products/electr ... p-camera-7
jwroberts76

Postby dancaravelle267 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:01 am

If it's sending the signal to the screen wirelessly, make sure you can submerge the sending unit which is usually near the camera....that's where I screwed up on mine.
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Return to Towing / Trailering