Smoked two bearings....same side...?

From your towing rig to trailer brakes. This is the place to discuss towing and trailering.

Smoked two bearings....same side...?

Postby bunker108 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I bought my Caravelle in Dallas. I drove out from Albuqueurque with two new tires in hand, picked up the boat, had the tires mounted up and pulled it 600 miles home without incident at interstate speeds. A week later I hooked up the boat with the family all loaded up for a trip to the lake. I literally made it 100 yards down the road and the wheel fell off. I spent the rest of that day replacing bearings, races and the seal. I had to clean up the threads on the bottom of the spindle with a thread file, but other than that all looked well. I replaced the bearings and races on the other side the next day.

So after that I had one uneventful 300 mile tow with no issues.

Then we had a long trip planned to lake Powell so I jacked up the trailer and gave the wheel the old wobble test. It was loose so I tightened it back up, checked the other side and loaded for Powell. We made it about 400 miles...about 20 miles from Page, Az, when I looked in the mirror and smoke was pouring out of the left wheel hub. Same side...again!

We did a quick roadside, desert repair after dropping the trailer and heading into town for parts. My buddy said one of two things happened.

1. I screwed up the install
2. I bought cheap Chinese bearings

I told him probably both!

After a great weekend I was dreading the long tow home. The trip was uneventful and I ended up up jacking up the trailer at every stop to check the bearings.

So...coincidence, or not? I'm thinking that I killed that bearing on the 300 mile tow in between the trips. It was loose after that trip. And maybe I toasted that bearing before we even left for Powell. I did fill up the boat in flagstaff too, so it might have just been the weight that put it over the edge.
bunker108

Interests: 0

Postby xcr-700 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Either your friend is correct about items #1 & #2 or you have two bent axle stubs.

If it happens again pull the axle stubs and have a machine shop check them. Most of them unbolt (4 bolts). If thats the problem its possible that the previous owner hit something or a big pothole and tweaked them a bit.

I dont think they are too expensive.

Hopefully if will be just what your friend said and you are all set.

Good Luck, nothing worse than not having faith in your trailer,,,

GH
xcr-700

Postby X S IVE » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:59 am

I travel with an Infrared tempurature sensor and check my hub and tire temperatures at every stop. Takes only a minute and will let you know if anything is out of the ordinary.

Had bearing problems once on a previous boat trailer and did not enjoy the experience. After that, I travelled with a complete tool kit and spare parts to replace anything that might hold me up. A bit of regular maintenance (clean, inspect and re-use every two years) and I have not had problems for quite a few years. Despite purchasing all the parts for my new trailer (in 2007) I have not had any problems and slowly starting leaving all the extra stuff behind. My annual towing trip is 500 miles one way. Starting to think that I should gather up the parts and take them along!
2007 232 Interceptor Solid Red 6.2
2016 F350 King Ranch Crew 6.7L 4X4
2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE
X S IVE

Postby bunker108 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:51 am

I will be traveling from now on with a spare loaded hub. I am also considering leaving my boat at Lake Powell to eliminate the long tow. There are closer lakes...but none like Lake Powell!
bunker108

Postby taffy3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 am

I'd say coincidence.

I had a bearing failure in 1981 (or 1982, sometime about 30 years ago) rode around with bearings in my tool box for decades and never took them out of the box.

I think if you have bearing buddies or the equivalent you'll be fine. When's the last time you had a bearing failure on your car? I know, cars don't get dunked at the launch, but that's why we have bearing buddies.

T3
2006 Caravelle 187. 1973 Silverton 27' dual station cruiser fully restored Thermoelectron powered, Borg/Warner Velvet Drive w/Walters V-drive.
taffy3

Postby dancaravelle267 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:13 am

I had a Bering failure on my one year old trailer for my Caravellema couple of years ago. Trailer manufacture said they over tightened the castle nut.
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Trl bearings

Postby foyboy062 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:44 pm

The smartest thing any of us can do, especially those who make the long hauls is to have an extra hub, with bearings and seal ready to install. It makes a road side swap out fast and easy. The other thing is to service those suckers at the end of every season and USE SYNTHETIC GREASE.
foyboy062

Return to Towing / Trailering