Trailer Tires - Bearings - Mixing and Non-Radial Carlisles

From your towing rig to trailer brakes. This is the place to discuss towing and trailering.

Trailer Tires - Bearings - Mixing and Non-Radial Carlisles

Postby Jax » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:10 pm

See below for a post I made on another thread.

We have been dragging our boat around a lot more than normal this year. San Antonio to Caddo Lake, San Antonio to Lake Ouachita, etc. We have put more road miles on it this year in a shorter amount of time than any other. Consequently, we went through some tires and I learned a lot from my local tire dealer. In the past, we've lost tires on the road and on Sunday -- so I was left with Wal-Mart as my only option.

Before we went to Ouachita, my oldest tire was low and wouldn't hold air. I went by my local tire store where I knew I'd get some good advice.

Of course you aren't supposed to mix bias and radial tires, but turns out Carlisle makes a NON-RADIAL trailer tire that looks just like their radials. They've now rebranded them from just Trail to Radial Trail. The bias tires are the Sport Trail. I ended up putting a Goodyear Marathon across from a Sport Trail -- and eventually blew out the Marathon.

My tire guy recommended the Marathons. I was previously a Carlisle fan, so I asked him why. Answer was simple: They last longer -- time and mileage. He suggested not mixing the Carlisle radial with a Marathon radial on the same axle, even if they are both new. (Different enough that one of them is going to wear more than the other.) After 5000+ miles, I'm happy so far with the Marathons.

Also when I got the tires put on, he noticed that one wheel seemed a little loose. I repacked the bearings last year, and I didn't notice it. I took it to a trailer mechanic that does brakes, bearings, etc. He said it wasn't uncommon if you hit a rock (even at slow speed -- shore launching at Medina Lake, for example) or had a blow out at high speed. He repacked it and reseated the bearing and good to go.

-Jack

Jax wrote:I've had just the opposite experience as Dan with Marathons, but mine sit more and don't travel as far or as often as it sounds Dan is going.

I have owned three (bought the third one because that's all Walmart had on a Sunday). Both blew out at less than 1 year and next one less than 2 years and VERY low miles. Carlisles have lasted until they were just worn out (and then some). 3 out of 4 are original. So in 5 years, I've gone through 1 Carlisle, which was still holding air, but scalloped. In the last year, I've blown two Marathons.

Although I never lost any Marathons on the old travel trailer, they didn't last as long as the Carlisles -- which I think take lack of use much better than Marathons.

So maybe your use matters.

Also ditto on the covers someone else mentioned. Anything to keep the sun off them.
2007 217LS
Volvo 5.0L GXi 270hp
Apollo XHS HP SS 14 1/4 X 20 prop
Jax

Interests: 0

Return to Towing / Trailering