Ecoboost

From your towing rig to trailer brakes. This is the place to discuss towing and trailering.

Ecoboost

Postby Big-E » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 am

If you never tried towing with a F-150 Ecoboost V6 you don't know what you are missing. I just towed a Baja 302 Boss (30 footer) 800 miles and was never more impressed with a truck! I've had big V8s and diesels but, never anything that towed like this little truck!
Capt. Elton Rodrigue
Prairieville, La
2007 232 Interceptor
2009 Blue Wave 24' Pure Bay 250 Yamaha
2011 Xpress Bay 20' 115 Yamaha
www.catchdat.com
Big-E

Interests: 0

Postby Muncie6spd » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:44 am

I test drove one, very impressive power out of a V6; it has 3 more HP than my V10, almost as much torque as my V10 and much better MPG. It's good to hear from actual users, thanks for the post.

Mike
2004 Interceptor 212 LS, Wakeboard tower, 5.0MPI:
Muncie6spd

Postby xcr-700 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Interesting,,,, Is there some special tow mode you have to turn on, or does it turn on when is senses load or via some other means?

I rented an F150 (2 WD) last summer while in Jackosn MS and drove down to LA to buy my Interceptor and I was not very impressed by the power or economy or even the ride of the Ford.

I didn't think it stood up to my 06 Avalanche in any area and I tend to think of my 5.3 w/3.42 gearing as rather weak and towing my 232 SC is as much as I would want to pull.

My previous tow vehicles were 87 Dodge Ramcharger (5.2), 94 Jeep GC (5.2) and a 98 Jeep GC (5.9 Limited) and they all "felt" more powerful and MORE surefooted when towing than either the F150 or my Avalanche. Matter of fact I liked the 98 GC so much I kept it way longer the my previous tow vehicles.

Never driven any of the new Dodge trucks but I plan to before buying any other truck!
xcr-700

Postby Muncie6spd » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:33 pm

xcr-700,
The Ecoboost 3.5 V6 has two turbochargers on it giving it much more power than small block V8's. The one you rented was probably the base 3.7 liter V6 which does not have near as much power. The Ecoboost is rated to tow more than the 5.0 Ford V8 and gets better mileage than all the small block V8's on the market today.
It's rated at 365 HP at 5000 RPM and 420 lb-ft of torque at 2500 RPM.
The 2012 GM 5.3 V8 is rated at 320 HP at 5400 RPM and 335 lb-ft of torque at 4000 RPM. I recommend you test drive one and you will immediately see and feel the difference.

Mike
Muncie6spd

Postby xcr-700 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:41 pm

I suspect you are right about the rental only having the base V-6.

With 2 turbochargers I can see it being much more powerful.

Overall it (F150) was a nice truck, it just didn't impress me enough to want to change from my Avalanche and to be quite honest the Avalanche is only ok, as it a way too under powdered and the quality of everything is low. Simple things like the window switches and the dashboard pale by comparison to the Jeeps, and then when I look at the underside the two are miles apart in the quality major components. My last Jeep was 10 years old when I got the Avalanche and it still didn't have a spot of rust on the underside, where as the Avalanche started showing rust after 2 years.

I did test drive the 2500 Avalanche w/8.1 engine before I bought the 1500 version and the 8.1 had some serious pulling power! Unfortunately the ride in the 2500 was way too stiff for me and it was quite a bit more money but no better quality overall, so I opted for the least optioned 4 x 4 model.

Maybe I'm looking for something that doesnt exist,, but I want lots of interior space, modestly soft ride, good acceleration, and enough zero-speed pulling torque to rip the side off the house and pull it up a hill!

No idea what it drives like, but I plan to look at the Dodge Mega-Cab w/Hemi and 4.10's when its time for the Avalanche to go.

Thanks for the info on the Ford, and for anyone else reading this, my Avalanche 1500 w/5.3 V-8 3.42 gears and 4 x 4 tows my Interceptor 232 ok, but I would not want to pull anything larger, not unless you had the 4.10 gears and/or the 6.0 or 8.1 engine option.

George
xcr-700

Postby Muncie6spd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 pm

George,

Good luck with your next vehicle, there are many different configurations to choose from now from all the major manufacturers. It sounds like you want to stick with the 1/2 ton trucks which will ride much better than the 3/4 or 1 tons do. I understand GM is dropping the Avalanche soon due to lack of sales I suppose. The Ram pickups look pretty good although their reputation for reliability has been rather poor in the past; hopefully the new trucks are better now.
I am biased toward Ford vehicles now having driven them for several years after having problems with several GM and Chrysler vehicles. The Fords have been much more reliable for me and their reliability is still rated higher than GM or Chrysler by Consumer Reports and several other sources so I will stick with them I guess.

Mike
Muncie6spd

Postby dancaravelle267 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:16 pm

xcr-700 wrote:I suspect you are right about the rental only having the base V-6.

With 2 turbochargers I can see it being much more powerful.

Overall it (F150) was a nice truck, it just didn't impress me enough to want to change from my Avalanche and to be quite honest the Avalanche is only ok, as it a way too under powdered and the quality of everything is low. Simple things like the window switches and the dashboard pale by comparison to the Jeeps, and then when I look at the underside the two are miles apart in the quality major components. My last Jeep was 10 years old when I got the Avalanche and it still didn't have a spot of rust on the underside, where as the Avalanche started showing rust after 2 years.

I did test drive the 2500 Avalanche w/8.1 engine before I bought the 1500
version and the 8.1 had some serious pulling power! Unfortunately the ride in the 2500 was way too stiff for me and it was quite a bit more money but no better quality overall, so I opted for the least optioned 4 x 4 model.

Maybe I'm looking for something that doesnt exist,, but I want lots of interior space, modestly soft ride, good acceleration, and enough zero-speed pulling torque to rip the side off the house and pull it up a hill!

No idea what it drives like, but I plan to look at the Dodge Mega-Cab w/Hemi and 4.10's when its time for the Avalanche to go.

Thanks for the info on the Ford, and for anyone else reading this, my Avalanche 1500 w/5.3 V-8 3.42 gears and 4 x 4 tows my Interceptor 232 ok, but I would not want to pull anything larger, not unless you had the 4.10 gears and/or the 6.0 or 8.1 engine option.

George

I am a huge ford fan. I have had 4 f150's. I also took a ecoboost home for the weekend and towed the 267. However my 2010 tundra yanks our 267. Crew max 4x4 5.7 with 4:30 gears and 6 speed automatic. Great 0-60 acceleration towing or not. huge cabin with reclining back seats. Power on command. Gas milage is simply ok. Non towing 13/16.7. Towed boat 200 miles to OK a couple of weeks ago and got 11 mpg @65mph. I also have a 03 1500 4x4 Chevy 5.3 auto not sure of gears (they are more of a highway gear)but I tried to tow the 267 on the highway and it will do it but I will not try it again.
I will say I was impressed with the non towing mpg of the ecoboost...22. That's what I actually got. The acceleration was good to once the turbos kicked in.
Last edited by dancaravelle267 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNOT AV8ING
2008 Caravelle 267
2015 F250 diesel 4x4
...and some other fun cars
dancaravelle267

Postby Shugarmag » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I guess I'll chime in here also. My tow vehicle is a 2002 F150 (super crew)with the 5.4 Triton. I, too, am a huge Ford fan, but I'm disappointed in the way my truck pulls my boat. Granted, the 242 is larger than the average runabout, it only weighs 4500 lbs. (boat only--I'm assuming around 5300 total rig). I thought it would be lot better than it is. The farthest I've towed is about 45 miles. I get about 8.5 MPG while towing (55-60 mph). Maybe I'm asking too much, but I thought it would be better (power, not MPG). I don't know what rear end I have, so that limits my comparison.

My last rig was a 19.5' Glasstream pulled by a '93 Bronco with a 5.0L 302. A lot less boat, but less truck and less engine also. It pulled it well.

I'm in NW Alabama. It's not flat, but it's not mountains either. I have had huge aspirations about towing the 242 to the beach. I don't think I could afford the gas at 8 MPG to get down there--it would be cheaper to rent a boat!!
'03 Caravelle 242 LS, 5.7L Volvo DP
Shugarmag

Postby bwgoodwin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:50 am

96 Bronco 351w, 3.55 gears, 33in tires, soft top that cathes air like a kite, rated at 210hp 150K miles ago, orig. engine and trans. towing the 209, have also towed jeeps on tandem trailers

yall are all towing much easier than i am...

i do plan to trade in the daily driver Honda for a ecoboost f150 though in the next year or so. Also kind of like the tundra crew max, i always recalled them being more expensive though
2005 Sea Ray 220 SunDeck
1999 209LS, Merc. 5.7L, Alpha I -SOLD
bwgoodwin

Postby joewithaboat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:44 am

For those of you interested, I've seen in several places where the eco boost sees massive gains in power and fuel economy from a bolt on $475.00 exhaust system. Something crazy like 40-50 hp. Apparently ford got lazy and just used the v8 exhaust and didn't design a turbo specific package for it.

I've been kinda thinking of buying an eco boost so I've been reading here and there about them.
1996 1900BR 4.3merc/gen2 alpha

Hoping for an Interceptor in my future
joewithaboat

Postby pogosrsf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 pm

I was gonna buy a new F-150 next spring, and was pretty dead set on the V-8 until I started reading about the Ecoboost. Then this thread started and now I don't know what I'm going to do....at least I've got 8-10 months before I have to make that decision!
2006 Interceptor 232SS w/5.7GXi
pogosrsf

Postby Felix » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Just an FYI about the EcoBoost F150s. They mileage claims are no where near what they are rated at. It's so far off several people are trying to bring a class action law suit against Ford (think '99 Cobras, haha).

Great trucks, but don't think you're going to get better mileage than your current truck. I've got several friends with these things and they are all pissed about the mileage. It's not that it's terrible, it's just not anywhere near what it should be.
Felix

Postby joewithaboat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Felix wrote:Just an FYI about the EcoBoost F150s. They mileage claims are no where near what they are rated at. It's so far off several people are trying to bring a class action law suit against Ford (think '99 Cobras, haha).

Great trucks, but don't think you're going to get better mileage than your current truck. I've got several friends with these things and they are all pissed about the mileage. It's not that it's terrible, it's just not anywhere near what it should be.

With any boosted (turbo/blower) vehicle... if the boost gauge is moving the fuel pressure is climbing and the mpg is going down. If you drive it and try not to get into the boost mpg will be much greater. I'm not saying that's for sure the case and that you are not accurate in your reporting. I'm just speaking from experience with having a daily driver that is turbo charged.

Keep giving us feed back PLEASE, as i am thinking of buying one.
1996 1900BR 4.3merc/gen2 alpha

Hoping for an Interceptor in my future
joewithaboat

Postby Felix » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 am

joewithaboat wrote:
Felix wrote:Just an FYI about the EcoBoost F150s. They mileage claims are no where near what they are rated at. It's so far off several people are trying to bring a class action law suit against Ford (think '99 Cobras, haha).

With any boosted (turbo/blower) vehicle... if the boost gauge is moving the fuel pressure is climbing and the mpg is going down. If you drive it and try not to get into the boost mpg will be much greater. I'm not saying that's for sure the case and that you are not accurate in your reporting. I'm just speaking from experience with having a daily driver that is turbo charged.

Keep giving us feed back PLEASE, as i am thinking of buying one.

Haha, yeah I know. I've had many of boosted cars for daily drivers. Great mileage as long as I kept the boost gauge in vacuum or 0-5lbs... not so good when I let it get to 25lbs. :P
Felix

Postby bwgoodwin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:22 pm

i got tired of thinking about it and needed a tow vehicle so i went and bought one this saturday. I love the power and i am ready to hook the boat up and see how she does.

I have had a v6 truck before and the mileage was little better but not night and day i am not expecting great mileage, especially since i love hearing the turbos whine, my buying point was 420 Ft. lbs at 2500rpm, i hated high revving in the hills to keep up speed...
2005 Sea Ray 220 SunDeck
1999 209LS, Merc. 5.7L, Alpha I -SOLD
bwgoodwin

Next

Return to Towing / Trailering