gauges broke thru the dashboard

Got a tip on maintenance. Need help with a repair? This is the place to ask.

gauges broke thru the dashboard

Postby CData » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 am

2001 Interceptor. Lightly used for weekend skiing in summer months and always stored either under its cover or in a garage when not in water. Still good looking. But this weekend when bouncing on some waves pretty hard but nothing unsafe or extreme - the 2 large gauges (MPH, RPM) broke thru the dashboard and were hanging by the wiring harness. We were shocked. We drove gingerly back to our dock afraid their movement could cause a short of something important.

It would seem the weight of the wiring harness pulled them thru and the white plastic lip simply broke away I guess due to age. I have not seen this issue in this forum. The opening measures about 3 3/8 " so I believe the 4" will fit and that I can order one from a dealer/ebay to replace. Based on what I see online these are dress white style.

Working under the dash is a bit crowded but it looks do-able for a do-it-yourself scenario. Any gotchas? Any advice on this from someone more knowledgeable is most welcome. Do we really use these gauges? - honestly no. But I do want to keep up the appearance of the craft for its long term sales value. So if I don't find replacements quickly or have trouble replacing them - can I just remove them and put electrical tape over the wires as a temporary measure to continue using the boat?

Jim
CData

Interests: 0

Re: gauges broke thru the dashboard

Postby buyfire » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:06 am

Wow, never heard of that one. Oxidation/UV exposure issue maybe. Sorry, no real advice to offer here.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby m_snow » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:00 am

Guages are nothing important but are good to look at. Just put them back in. Try to make them more secure.
m_snow

Postby CData » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:40 pm

I found replacements (I think) at an online store specializing in boat stuff. I will be back on the lake this weekend to try and do it myself.

I agree that really it is just for looks as MPH/RPM really don't matter to me.

Not sure I can rig up any supplemental support for the wiring harness that is creating the weight pulling on them. The original design is that they're being held up (from falling thru the opening in the dash) by their plastic rim. The molded fiberglass doesn't lend itself to any way to attach anything to it on the underside of the dash in order to help hold up the wiring harness and take its weight off gauges. Once I relook at things under there possibly the steering column offers some solid point to aid.... not sure.
CData

Return to Maintenance / Repair