no water to impeller

Got a tip on maintenance. Need help with a repair? This is the place to ask.

no water to impeller

Postby jkwcfd » Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 pm

So I changed the impeller (I will post a detailed account on how to do it) on my 2007 mercruiser MAG MPI cuz my engine ran up to 200 on muffs after it had been winterized. Temp got up to 160 quick and I didn't see any water coming out exhaust (CAPT call on) or drive with it off. I shut down motor. My friend said my drive which is bravo XZ has the small holes at the nose of the cone which is a shallow water pickup. He told me to tape it closed cuz water was just pouring out that instead of reaching impeller. Did that and noticed no difference. I also loosened the 2 hoses at the thermostat housing (one big one small) on side where sea pump is and water never reached it. So could there be a blockage in the intake line? Is that the red hose that has a quick connect fitting in the middle? Should I disconnect it and run my hose inside that red hose to get water directly to the sea pump? Should I and how do you do it, backflush to the drive pickup? Sorry I have been a problem child this year. If I get this fixed I think you guys will like detailed impeller change I have made but don't want to post if I screwed up somehow (yeah great post John on how to overheat your boat, lets make that a "sticky"). :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
John

2007 232 Interceptor
5.7 Merc MAG MPI
2004 Dodge ram 4x4
POPO/MEDIC/ CHAPLAIN
jkwcfd

Interests: 0

Re: no water to impeller

Postby iammarcuse » Sat May 07, 2016 10:00 pm

You could have a blockage but I would be surprised if it was 100%. Stick the garden hose into the hose coming from your drive and see if the water goes out the water intakes on your drive. If so leave the hose end open and run it the other way.

One bad news scenario is that because you ran the motor with the front drive holes not blocked off you may have cooked your new impeller. They cannot run even a few minutes without water. Sorry you might be changing it again.
iammarcuse

Postby m_snow » Wed May 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Spring startup this last week I had a similar problem. High temp and rising after warm up. Impeller was working and had water. Used muffs and nose cover. There are 2 water plugs on the water pump housing, one on the lower "water jug," and one by the thermostat. I removed the upper thermostat plug and air (steam) came out, then water. Problem fixed. Had to burp the engine! :beer:
m_snow

Postby jkwcfd » Fri May 13, 2016 10:08 pm

Glad you got it fixed. Mine is fixed also. It was the sea pump housing. Had bad grooves where impeller touched the two surfaces. I found a great kit that fixed it. Came with 2 stainless parts that take the place of the housing surface where impeller touches. Also came with a new impeller which is a hair shorter and gaskets. All for 99 bucks and it worked like a champ. Only modification is to grind down a small bit of the backside where each bolt goes of the bracket that mounts to the pump. here is the link if anyone needs it in the future. Beats replacing the 2 pump sides for around 500 bucks.
http://aftermarket-marine.com/IMPE496D.HTM
John

2007 232 Interceptor
5.7 Merc MAG MPI
2004 Dodge ram 4x4
POPO/MEDIC/ CHAPLAIN
jkwcfd

Postby rampaage » Tue May 17, 2016 3:59 pm

that rebuild kit is awesome to know about. The dealer I took my boat to put in new pump and the price for the pump is around $800 + labor. I wish I had kept the old pump now.
2008 237 LS 350MAG Bravo I
2003 Sliverado 1500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
rampaage

Postby m_snow » Tue May 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Get news on that fix kit. I've paid hundreds for a new pump.

I wonder if one could solder the worn surfaces smooth?> :?:
m_snow

Return to Maintenance / Repair