Illustrated Impeller Change

Got a tip on maintenance. Need help with a repair? This is the place to ask.

Illustrated Impeller Change

Postby ChuckFoy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:08 pm

Hey folks,

I changed my impeller today and documented the process so everyone could see how easy it was. This does not include removal and re-installation of the gearcase/lower unit, only the impeller change itself.

1. Start with a trusty manual, some cool tunes, and a Mercury Impeller Replacement Kit. Mine was part #47-43026K06; yours may be different. This kit comes with all the o-rings, gaskets, face plate, and of course the impeller itself.

2. You'll need to secure the gearcase upright somehow. Here's how I did it. I took some two by fours and mounted them to my workbench about three inches apart and slid the gearcase in. Clever, ain't I?

3. Okay. Let's get to work. Start by sliding the water seal up and off the drive shaft. There's a new one in the kit so you won't need this guy.

4. Now remove the four screws holding the pump body and lift off the pump body. You may have to gently / carefully pry it loose. Clean the pump body up good because you'll need to re-use it. If you think it's damaged, replace it.

5. Remove the old impeller, the impeller drive key, face plate, and gaskets. All of these parts are in your kit. My impeller really didn't look too bad as you can see.

6. The manual told me to remove the drive shaft seal carrier next, but I saw no reason to do this. I tried to pry it up with two screwdrivers like the book suggested, but it didn't want to come out and I didn't want to force it. Other than inspecting it, there was no reason to take it out. So I chickened out. So next I cleaned the surfaces where the pump body mounts and blew it clean with compressed air.

7. Now we put things back together. Face plate gasket, face plate, and pump body gasket thus.

8. Holding the drive key in place, slide the impeller into place.

9. Okay, I had to do this step twice so be careful. While pushing down on the pump body, twist the drive shaft clockwise so the impeller twists up into the body. The reason I had to do it again is the gaskets and face plate got all turned around and all. So you need three hands and eleven fingers to hold the gaskets while you twist the shaft.

10. Put your screws back in.

11. Tighten with a torque wrench to 60 inch-pounds or (6.8 Newton meters).

12. Slide the face seal over the drive shaft and install with the tool included in the kit.

13. Drink a beer.

There you go.

Chuck
ChuckFoy

Interests: 0

Postby m_snow » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Mamma jamma.. great post!

Used to have an Alpha myself.

Mark in ATL
m_snow

Postby taffy3 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:46 pm

What a nice thing to do for everyone Chuck! This should be a "sticky".

I especially like the 2X4 trick.

I'm just curious....as you said the old impeller did look fine, how long was it in there?

T3
2006 Caravelle 187. 1973 Silverton 27' dual station cruiser fully restored Thermoelectron powered, Borg/Warner Velvet Drive w/Walters V-drive.
taffy3

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:53 pm

AWESOME!! You did as much work posting as you did changing out the impellor :shock:

Very kind of you :lol:

Taffy, I changed HP's last fall before we went to Lake of the Ozarks and it, too, was like new with a 195 hours :lol:
HOT PURSUIT

Postby Nuckle » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:25 am

First of all let me be serious and say that this is a great post. It is awesome that you spent the time to do this for other people.

Now let me throw a little serious humor into it.

Dear God,

I take back all the curse words I said when removing the water pump on my Bravo I out drive while replacing the impeller. At the time I thought they were necessary but I now know that I was fortunate. I realize now that you were looking down on me and trying to help me out. I realize that my situation did not warrant swearing, throwing tools, yelling at my wife and generally being a butthead. I am sure you got a huge kick out of it.

Nuck
Nuckle

Postby ChuckFoy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:27 am

Good morning,

I dunno how long the old impeller was in there. This is an 11 year-old boat and when I changed the plugs last year they had the original block paint on 'em. I bought it from the original owner. He used it a bit the first few years he had it but then his kids started playing soccer and went to college and you know how that goes. There is no hour meter on it, but he kept it in his garage and rubbed it with a diaper so it was pretty cherry. The impeller could very well have been original.

I was hoping it was worse because of the problem I talked about in this thread:

http://caravelleboat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2102&sid=2a53503a37bd6c143623634eb7c05776

Mark in ATL >>> I'm hoping you were right and it was just ice in the power steering cooler.

Chuck
ChuckFoy

Postby old man » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Now if it shifts because you got the shift shaft lined back up right, and you didn't forget to refil the drive with oil so you don't loose the upper gears YOUR downtown.
Last edited by old man on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old man

Postby taffy3 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Huh? :roll:
2006 Caravelle 187. 1973 Silverton 27' dual station cruiser fully restored Thermoelectron powered, Borg/Warner Velvet Drive w/Walters V-drive.
taffy3

Postby steve4006 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:56 am

Sure am glad I have a Volvo. I can change the impellor in about 30 minutes. It is mounted on the front of the engine. Could do it while out on the water if I had to.
Steve
2004 207LS 5.0L volvo MPI
steve4006

Postby Nuckle » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:15 pm

steve4006 wrote:Sure am glad I have a Volvo. I can change the impellor in about 30 minutes. It is mounted on the front of the engine. Could do it while out on the water if I had to.

Same with a Merc Bravo I. I think it is just the Alpha drive that is a pain in the butt.

Nuck
Nuckle

Postby herby » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Those were awesome tips, but I have a Bravo I as well. The first to post the same informational step by step on a Bravo One gets a case of Old Milwaukee's Best Light overnighted to there door step.

It wont matter if it's warm, still tastes the same :( :D
2003 212 Interceptor
350 MAG MPI 300 HP
Bravo I
19SS Inertia Prop
Pulled by 2007 White Crew Cab Tundra
herby

Postby generalchase » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:13 am

As a new member of this teriffic forum I would proudly like to say that it's posts like Chuck's and others that convinced me that this is a forum with passionate members who want to share their knowledge with fellow mariners.
Makes me even prouder to be part of the Caravelle community.

Cheers to all of you,
Generalchase.
St.Lawrence River
Ontario.Canada
2005 Caravelle 176BR
Third Love of my life
There's nothing half as much doing than simple messin about in boats :D
Proud owner of a 2005 176BR Caravelle,Lake Blue on White.
The third Love of my life.
There's nothing half as much fun doing than simply messing about in boats.
generalchase

Postby silverzz28 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:09 pm

question the seal on top of the cover was pushed down over the shaft but not down into the housing on mine. SHouldnt it be pushed in?
silverzz28

Return to Maintenance / Repair