Oil pressure and fuel gauge issues

Got a tip on maintenance. Need help with a repair? This is the place to ask.

Oil pressure and fuel gauge issues

Postby jfair32 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Took my boat out of hibernation Friday and when I started it for the first time I noticed the oil pressure gauge was reading less than zero. After a little freaking out noticed the fuel gauge was acting the same way. The oil warning wasn't going off so I realized because of the 2 gauges there's another issue than a bad oil pump. I checked all the wiring back by battery on case I forgot something when I winterized it. Anyone have any ideas...
When I turn key gauges twitch but I don't indicate anything.
2005 232SC 350 Mag Red Tribal graphics
Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 HEMI
jfair32

Interests: 0

Re: Oil pressure and fuel gauge issues

Postby Scoots » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:22 pm

I would load test the battery, efi engines dont like batteries with a dead cell or 2, even though the battery will start the engine. next is make sure the alt is charging. If your not sure how there are a lot of how-to's on youtube, if they arent clear PM me. Next as you pointed out, check all connections, especially grounds. Pull them, wire brush and some dielectric grease. Let us know how it plays out..
04 212 Interceptor 5.7 Gi
Scoots

Postby jfair32 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:41 pm

I did all that and nothing changed. Is it possible since everything is wired in series that one gauge is bad so it's effecting the other. Sorry about my bad English and spelling on original post. It was late and in a hurry.
jfair32

Postby Scoots » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:42 pm

jfair32 wrote:I did all that and nothing changed. Is it possible since everything is wired in series that one gauge is bad so it's effecting the other. Sorry about my bad English and spelling on original post. It was late and in a hurry.

I dont think that could be the case. Had my depth sounder disco all weekend and everything else worked fine. Does your engine stay running when you disco either battery cable?
04 212 Interceptor 5.7 Gi
Scoots

Postby taffy3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:42 am

I haven't posted here in a long time.....just happened across your oil pressure issue. Hopefully you've figured this out but if not......

1. Relax, it's extremely unlikely that you have an oil pump issue.
2. The most likely issue is a grounding problem in your gauges. At 12 years old your boat is at just the age that these issues start to develop.

You should be able to access your gauges without too much difficulty. Typically corrosion can develop over the years and eventually the gauge can't function because the circuit fails. The small amount of current is blocked by the bad ground. On the back of the gauges there are typically connections for your gauge lights, power to the gauge (from the ignition switch), a sensing wire from the oil pressure sender, fuel sender, temp sender, etc and a grounding wire. For your oil pressure gauge the power wire is purple, the sensor wire is deep blue and the ground wire may be black or yellow. Disassemble and clean the connections at the back of the gauge (make sure the ignition key is off or battery is disconnected) and check the gauge by starting up the boat. You might want to apply a little dab of dielectric silicone grease to the studs which will prevent future corrosion. I'll wager this simple cleaning will solve your problem. I'll attach a link to a short article on gauge troubleshooting. It's for Teleflex and you probably have Faria gauges but they all work identically. Many (or all) boats like yours have a low oil pressure alarm built into the system. This is a safety feature separate from the gauge. In the event that your oil pressure drops below a predetermined level the alarm sounds and the fuel pump is shut down. This, of course, shuts down your engine preventing serious damage in the event of an oil pump failure (which I have never seen) or low oil level. Good luck. Taffy3

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=835
2006 Caravelle 187. 1973 Silverton 27' dual station cruiser fully restored Thermoelectron powered, Borg/Warner Velvet Drive w/Walters V-drive.
taffy3

Postby jfair32 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:11 am

Oh Man, thank you for the reply. That was my next step or take it in to have it repaired. I will definatly try what you suggest.
jfair32

Postby jfair32 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:17 am

Ive been fighting corrosion in my wire bundle connectors for years already and every year i have to pull them apart, clean and shoot some wd40 on connectors. Never thought of die electric grease though.
jfair32

Postby AndrewT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 am

taffy3 wrote:I haven't posted here in a long time.....just happened across your oil pressure issue. Hopefully you've figured this out but if not......

1. Relax, it's extremely unlikely that you have an oil pump issue.
2. The most likely issue is a grounding problem in your gauges. At 12 years old your boat is at just the age that these issues start to develop.

You should be able to access your gauges without too much difficulty. Typically corrosion can develop over the years and eventually the gauge can't function because the circuit fails. The small amount of current is blocked by the bad ground. On the back of the gauges there are typically connections for your gauge lights, power to the gauge (from the ignition switch), a sensing wire from the oil pressure sender, fuel sender, temp sender, etc and a grounding wire. For your oil pressure gauge the power wire is purple, the sensor wire is deep blue and the ground wire may be black or yellow. Disassemble and clean the connections at the back of the gauge (make sure the ignition key is off or battery is disconnected) and check the gauge by starting up the boat. You might want to apply a little dab of dielectric silicone grease to the studs which will prevent future corrosion. I'll wager this simple cleaning will solve your problem. I'll attach a link to a short article on gauge troubleshooting. It's for Teleflex and you probably have Faria gauges but they all work identically. Many (or all) boats like yours have a low oil pressure alarm built into the system. This is a safety feature separate from the gauge. In the event that your oil pressure drops below a predetermined level the alarm sounds and the fuel pump is shut down. This, of course, shuts down your engine preventing serious damage in the event of an oil pump failure (which I have never seen) or low oil level. Good luck. Taffy3

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=835

Good post ,drop in more often,the forum has been rather slow lately.
2005 Interceptor 212
Volvo 5.0 GXi 270hp
21P 14.5 3B SS prop and 19P 4B SS for wakeboarding and tubing.
AndrewT

Postby taffy3 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:48 am

I used to own a Caravelle, it was IMO the nicest little 18 footer made back in 2006. I still miss it, but I'm retired, kids are older and something had to give. So we kept the cruiser.

Jfair, I'll check back and see if you solved your problem.

It's interesting Andrew, I'm involved in a couple of other boat building forums and notice the same thing. Not many posts. I'm not sure why but it isn't just here.

Regards,

T3
2006 Caravelle 187. 1973 Silverton 27' dual station cruiser fully restored Thermoelectron powered, Borg/Warner Velvet Drive w/Walters V-drive.
taffy3

Return to Maintenance / Repair