Caravelle 280 Fish Halk Engine Bolt Hole Setting

This forum is for owners and enthusiasts of the Sea Hawk line of Caravelle Boats. From the 190 Center Console model up to the 280 Center Console model.

Postby covers42 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:27 pm

I have a 2003 280 Caravelle with twin 225 HP Yamaha 4 strokes. I have noticed an issue with prop cavitation and actually sucking air into the engine inlets causing overheating when the tabs are down deep enough to level out the boat. If the boat runs nose up with light porposing it does not overheat.

Boat has the 12" long by 18" wide stock trim tabs.

What bolt hole do other people set the engines at on the out bracket?

My engine is in the next to bottom hole and was consider dropping the engine another 1/2" to the lowest hole.

Is the only fix to go to racing trim tabs and what size is recommended?

Do most people run with the engines tucked, level or trimmed up some position during cruise speeds to minimize caviation?
covers42

Interests: 0

Postby shel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:11 pm

I have an 05 280 with twin Suzuki 175's and have them mounted top bolt in the second highest hole. Originally had Merc 250 efi's on it and initial setting was one hole lower (third highest hole). Raised up by one hole, less porpoising, better ride. When we installed the Suzukis, went with the same placement. No ventilation, props don't break loose. As far as the trim tabs go.....flat seas-no tabs, engines tucked in all the way then trimmed out til porpoising starts, then trimmed back in a tad. 2 ft seas or higher.....3/8 tabs or more depending on ride, engines slightly trimmed. Same tabs as you, Lencos approx 12x18. Boat rides stern heavy with larger 4 stroke engines, originally designed for lighter 2 stroke power (200 hpdi best power to weight ratio). You will use a lot of tabs with the Yamaha 225 engines. Keep as much weight out of the back as you can and load the front fish box up with a couple hundred pounds of ice. If you can keep all the big guys from riding in the back, that helps the ride as well. If you have $800 or so to blow, you can experiment with 4 blade props designed to give more stern lift. What part of the country are you in? Post some pictures when you can. How long have you had the boat?
shel

Postby Poor Richard » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:33 pm

hey covers42 I have a 04 280 and just really love it .This is my first season with the boat and put about 100 hours so far...I learned alot about the boat from Shel who posted a reply just before me......so here is the scoop...I have twin 200 hpdi the first time I ran the boat I needed heavy trim tabs to level the boat it also porpoised and made the ride uncomfortable...I was not happy....Shel made the same recommendation about the ice in the large fish hold, I wasn't about to buy 300 pounds of ice each time I took the boat out so I did buy 300 pounds of bird shot that was in 50 pound bags and put in the forward center compartment under the seating...it took up only a third of the space and still have plenty of room to put stuff. Well to make a long story short I run my boat with NO TABS AT ALL neutral position all the time weather a full load of fuel ...full of gear or even 7 adults on board....and that's the scoop! good luck with your Sea Hawk
Last edited by Poor Richard on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 280 cc Sea Hawk
Twin Yamaha 200 hpdi
Poor Richard

Postby shel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Poor Richard wrote:hey covers42 I have a 04 280 and just really love it .This is my first season with the boat and put about 100 hours so

Another boat addict, I love it! 100 hours already...........cool, didn't buy it just to look at it :2cool:
shel

hours..

Postby mikeFROMboca » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:37 pm

I've put 700 hours on in two years... that's pretty "cool", right?? 8)
Bite Me
Standing by on 72 in SE Florida
mikeFROMboca

Re: hours..

Postby shel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:46 pm

mikeFROMboca wrote:I've put 700 hours on in two years... that's pretty "cool", right?? 8)

Absolutely! I seem to be pretty consistent, around 250 hours a year. Mike, I'm betting you're like me, a lot of trolling! :2cool:
shel

Postby covers42 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Poor Richard thanks for the advice.

I put in 8X (0.5 cu ft) sand bags in the front of the boat for ~400 lb (2 in the anchor rope locker and 6 in the front storage). Once I get the weight right I may move over to shot. I may still need another 50 to 100 lb.

It did help but I still need to run a decent amount of trim tabs to cut the porposing regardless of engine tuck.

I got rid of the overheating by trimming up the engines some instead of starting with full tuck. Still holding back on opening it all the way open since I need to be careful with the tabs.

The fish finder may need to be removed and remounted. It is causing a heck of a lot of wake and I have it all the way up in the bottom edge of the slots.

I have not had any overheating in the last couple of weeks as long as I do not over push down the bow with the tabs too far. When it did overheat it was always on the side with the fish finder transducer first.

Anyone run an external bracket fish finder or do people typically go with the thru hull design with this style of boat?
covers42

Postby shel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 am

Covers42,
Mixed bag when it comes to transducers on bracketed boats. I personally don't like to drill unneccessary holes in my boat if I don't have to. I run a furuno FVC620 with a transom mount and can usually run up to about 40 mph without losing bottom depending on conditions. Engines are set back further on brackets so you get cleaner water for your transom mount to work in. Make sure your transducer isn't too far down in the water, can cause water disruption and cause some overheating possiblly. If you don't know when the impellers were changed, you might want to think about that as well. Good luck!
shel

Postby covers42 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:38 pm

:) Issue of cavitation or ventalization of the prop was still present under certain conditions. I noticed that the port side did not have the issue but the tab edge was bent on the inside corner due to hit hitting the bunk on the trailer on day with the tab down. Bent the corner of the starboard side tab and the problem went away.
I talked with one of the guys from Bennett and he indicated the boat should have had longer skinnier tabs than had twin actuators due to it's setup and speed. Boat rides nice now and no overheating occurs.

One last issue to clean up with one of the 4-stroke yamaha engines. Port engine has trouble finding neutral after it has warmed up. Issue only occurs for several seconds when I pull back on the throttles.

I expect either the thermostat is old messing up the local temperature, the air flow flaps are out of setting or the idle control sensor is going bad.
I plan to pull the thermostats and replace first. If not the case will send it to the dealer for tuneup.
Anyone have a similar engine issue?
covers42

Return to Sea Hawk Offshore Boats