Where are all the Offshore owners

This forum is for owners and enthusiasts of the Sea Hawk line of Caravelle Boats. From the 190 Center Console model up to the 280 Center Console model.

Where are all the Offshore owners

Postby SoFlo2008 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:54 pm

I just bought a 230 CC and was hoping to read more from the offshore owners. Anyone located in S. Florida?
230 Offshore
SoFlo2008

Interests: 0

Re: Where are all the Offshore owners

Postby shel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:04 pm

SoFlo2008 wrote:I just bought a 230 CC and was hoping to read more from the offshore owners. Anyone located in S. Florida?

Congrats on the 230. I've owned a 280 for about 3 1/2 years now and love it. Ton of room in it for a 28 ft boat compared to others. Repowered last year to twin Suzuki 175's, get excellent gas mileage and still top out at just north of 48 mph. Live up in Jacksonville, fish out of St Augustine. Here's a pic taken last summer down in Key Colony.
[img][img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/shelconias/caravellewithzuke175s.jpg[/img][/img]
shel

Re: Where are all the Offshore owners

Postby Swerve » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 pm

shel wrote:
SoFlo2008 wrote:I just bought a 230 CC and was hoping to read more from the offshore owners. Anyone located in S. Florida?

Congrats on the 230. I've owned a 280 for about 3 1/2 years now and love it. Ton of room in it for a 28 ft boat compared to others. Repowered last year to twin Suzuki 175's, get excellent gas mileage and still top out at just north of 48 mph. Live up in Jacksonville, fish out of St Augustine. Here's a pic taken last summer down in Key Colony.
[img][img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/shelconias/caravellewithzuke175s.jpg[/img][/img]

Love the boat !! We dont get many that style in Oz, more pic's ??
Last edited by Swerve on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Caravelle 217LS
Swerve

Postby SoFlo2008 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Very nice! Did you have to swap the bracket to add the additional motor?
I'd like to repower with twins to give it more distance offshore.

Here's a photo of my 230

I've since added Raymarine chart plotter VHF radio and fishfinder and a new rubrail.

230 Offshore
SoFlo2008

Postby shel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:09 pm

SoFlo2008 wrote:Very nice! Did you have to swap the bracket to add the additional motor?
I'd like to repower with twins to give it more distance offshore.

Here's a photo of my 230

I've since added Raymarine chart plotter VHF radio and fishfinder and a new rubrail.

Nice Looking Rig! As far as the bracket goes, it's the original from Stainless. I had twin Merc 250 EFI on it originally but after a couple of years, the gas bill was killing me. I originally was going to repower with a single suzuki 300 but my bracket is set up for twins with reinforced plates. No reinforced plates in the center of my bracket so couldn't go with a single without switching brackets. You would have the opposite problem, your reinforcment plate is in the center of the bracket. To go with twins, you would have to switch brackets. Now for the news you'll not going to want to hear. Your boat is only rated for 300 hp. Twin Yamaha 150's 4 strokes would make that boat scream but unfortunately it would be too much weight on the stern. Both the 230 and the 280 were designed for the lighter 2 stroke power that's why I went with the suzuki 175 4 strokes when I repowered, same weight as the Merc 250 2 strokes. The Yamaha 250 4 stroke would be a fairly good choice if you want 4 stroke power but you will probably want to go with longer trim tabs than what you have now. I'm guessing you get about 1.5 mpg with the Yamaha 200 that are on there now, the Yamaha 250 4 stroke would probably get you 2.5 mpg with a top end of around 46-47 mph. Probably the best set-up would be a Mercury Optimax 225 but you would still have 2 stroke power, have to run 2 stroke oil and the noise level would be louder along with some 2 stroke fumes. I usually load up the front fish box with 300 lbs of ice to offset some of the stern heavy characteristics on my boat. Anyway, enjoy the boat and feel free to shoot me any questions.
Shel
shel

Postby Jaimeson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Ah ha, there's a pic of your sweet 280, Shel. I was gonna ask to see her but there she is. I am envious of the 280, mostly because of twin setup but my biggest is there ain't much room behind the leaning post, especially if you have poles stored on the back of the leaning post.

Other than that, I couldn't ask for a better boat. Rides dry and smooth and still no stress cracks being the 3rd owner.

The F225 has plenty of power too. If I were to ever re-power, I'd most likely go with an F250 of newer model.
2004 230 Seahawk CC Top Gun outriggers Garmin 740S/18 HD radar Yamaha F225
Jaimeson

Return to Sea Hawk Offshore Boats