247 FSR cavitates at slower speeds.

This is a general discussion forum. Feel free to discuss anything pertaining to your boats, trailers, motors, etc.

247 FSR cavitates at slower speeds.

Postby xexman44 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Brand new 2017 247 FSR. 7 hours on it. Two issues I want to ask about.
First, I have to keep the motor trimmed all the way down, all the time. Any up trim at all and it starts to cavitate. ANY. Not that I mind, just wondering if that seems normal?
The other question is, at higher speeds it goes pefect. Nice and smooth. At slower speeds, 2500 rpms or so and just going along it will start to cavitate, engine revs up, boat slows down, etc. With the trim all the way down. Slow the boat down and start over again and at the same speed it will start to cavitate again. Wondering if a hydro foil would help or not?
Does any body have any experience with this boat or situation. Doesn't look like you can lower the 200hp Suzuki any lower on the stern. Any info at all will be a big help. Dealer just wanted to sell it, doesn't want to do anything after the sale.
Thanks guys!
xexman44

Interests: 0

Re: 247 FSR cavitates at slower speeds.

Postby buyfire » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 am

Is it a short, or long shaft outboard? 15"= short, 20"= long. A hull designed for a long shaft with a short installed would cavitate pretty badly. Would there be any way to lower the transom mount a couple inches? The other possible cause would be the prop. Switching to a 4 or 5 blade may take care of it, so long as your motor shaft length is correct.

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about your particular hull design.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Re: 247 FSR cavitates at slower speeds.

Postby Scoots » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Good call buyfire. Its been a million years since I sold boats but I do have a faint recollection of a cust bringing in a boat that had a standard draft transom and someone had put an offshore long shaft, offshore outboard on it and it performed horribly. He couldnt afford a new outboard so we put an adjustable engine plate/jack plate on and he was very happy after that. It was about 1/3rd the cost of a new outboard.
04 212 Interceptor 5.7 Gi
Scoots

Return to General Boating Discussions