What do you all think of this deal?

This is a general discussion forum. Feel free to discuss anything pertaining to your boats, trailers, motors, etc.

What do you all think of this deal?

Postby Shaun of the Dead » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 am

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/5918937824.html

This looked like the NADA (see attached image).

I haven't seen it in person. It's not too far from my house and I LOVED every feature about this boat! I just wanted to see what you all thought. Pending an inspection, I'd probably see if he'd come down to $17K or so. I've been talking to him the last month and he seems like he'd be a pretty nice guy to work with.

Let me know your thoughts, and NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!! :mrgreen:

Shaun
Attachments
Caravelle Boat NADA.png
Caravelle Boat NADA.png (45.72 KiB) Viewed 649 times
2015 Regal 1900es
4.3 VP200
Shaun of the Dead

Interests: 0

Re: What do you all think of this deal?

Postby buyfire » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 am

Looks like a nice boat. The 5.0 isn't a lot of motor for that boat, it's a fairly heavy hull, but it should do fine. You'll notice the Stingray hydrofoil on the outdrive, which may have been put there as an attempt to correct sluggish planing. Take her for a test drive before you buy so you don't end up in the same situation you had last season wishing for more performance. If you can, take your test drive with a normal load of passengers & fuel. $17K would be a very good price for that boat, but I wouldn't feel too bad about paying a bit more so long as performance is up to your expectations.
Boatless, again.
buyfire

Postby youmansjason01 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:00 pm

I have a 2007 237, with the exact same RoadRunner trailer. However, I have the Mercruiser 350 MAG which has 300 HP. I wonder how well the 260HP 5.0L engine performs. Based on the "whale tale" on the outdrive, I wonder if they had issues getting it on plane? Although, it could be something that's corrected with a 4 blade SS prop, or just a lower pitch 3 blade prop.

For the overall condition, it looks pretty good. Maybe a little sun fading, but nothing a good polish won't take care of. The engine hours are very low for a boat that age. For the snap in carpets, does it have the pieces that are missing in the photos?

If it were me, I'd try to get them down closer to the $17k mark based on the condition, and the fact it only has a 5.0L engine. Also, in your NADA Guide estimate, you have selected a SS prop, but based on the pictures, it doesn't have a SS prop.

Adding a SS prop will definitely help with the acceleration and planing. Might eliminate the need for the "whale tale".
2007 Caravelle 237 LS
350 MAG 300HP with Bravo 1, Captain's Call Exhaust, Black wide band with matching Caravelle Trailer
youmansjason01

Postby Shaun of the Dead » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:49 am

I saw the aluminum, but in the listing description, he states "stainless prop: not pictured".

I'll try and go check it out in the next few weeks if it's still available. I did see the fading around the radio. Does that look like an Alpha or a Bravo to you? Looked Alpha to me. I also attributed that to the fact that it has a lower horsepower engine.

You happy with yours?
2015 Regal 1900es
4.3 VP200
Shaun of the Dead

Postby youmansjason01 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:08 pm

The Craigslist link has expired, so I can't check the photos. But, since it has the 5.0L engine, it most likely has the Alpha outdrive. I think the Bravo only comes with 5.7L and above.

Otherwise, I love my 237. It's big enough to handle the rough water seen on the local freshwater lakes. I haven't experienced any build quality issues or anything. Just normal maintenance.
2007 Caravelle 237 LS
350 MAG 300HP with Bravo 1, Captain's Call Exhaust, Black wide band with matching Caravelle Trailer
youmansjason01

Postby Shaun of the Dead » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:29 am

Looks like an alpha to me and I was theorizing along the same lines that you were. The 5.0 wouldn't need a bravo from the factory, so it probably wouldn't have it.
Attachments
Caravelle Cut.png
Caravelle Cut.png (192.24 KiB) Viewed 555 times
2015 Regal 1900es
4.3 VP200
Shaun of the Dead

Return to General Boating Discussions