New 217LS Owner in Oz

This is a general discussion forum. Feel free to discuss anything pertaining to your boats, trailers, motors, etc.

Postby singintheblue » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:07 pm

Hey Poolman,
If you go to the "Show us your boat" forum, the instructions for posting pictures is always at the top. Give it a shot.
"Good eatin' size" is a term used only by those who catch small fish.

2000 Caravelle 212BR Interceptor 5.0 Gi Volvo Penta
250 HP, 1.6 ratio, 17P Revolution 4
2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V-8 270 HP 7200 lb. towing
singintheblue

Interests: 0

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:05 pm

Hey Poolman. Please tell this Yank what a bait board is :?
HOT PURSUIT

Postby Poolman2234 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:21 pm

I'll take a photo when I get home. Stuck in the Pool Shop in the middle of winter at the moment.
Poolman2234

Postby singintheblue » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Hey HP,
I understand serious fishermen use bait that you have to cut up on a bait board.
Frankly, I've never seen a worm that required that. :lol:

singintheblue

Postby Swerve » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:29 am

Rob,

Hi, just went down to see Derek today and we will be collecting her next Saturday.

Will send you a PM with my contact details. Were also getting a 60L water tank and transom shower installed, GPS and sounder etc.

Always good when another caravelle owners lives about 10km away :D

Steve
Swerve

Postby TX Redneck Boater » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:33 am

I understand serious fishermen use bait that you have to cut up on a bait board.

They Fish with Sushi?? :wink:

Marv
TX Redneck Boater

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:24 am

You sure Singin'? Cut bait on DEADLIEST CATCH for crabs :lol: Actually in winter, we used to use cut bait for northern pike on tip ups and perch belly strips to catch more perch is also common as well as perch eyes :lol:
HOT PURSUIT

Postby singintheblue » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:27 am

HP,
You must be one of those "serious" fishermen I've heard about.
I usually just wind up drowning worms and crickets. :(

But any day on the water is a good day. :)

singintheblue

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:50 am

Just when I am not BOATING :lol:
HOT PURSUIT

Postby Swerve » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:25 pm

24 hours till collection :D :D :D

Going from collection tomorrow straight to the water to test this baby out :shock:

Can't wait :x
2008 Caravelle 217LS
Swerve

Postby TX Redneck Boater » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:08 am

Swerve,

Sweet - Please post some pictures when you can Sir

Marv
TX Redneck Boater

Postby Swerve » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:11 am

Ok Ok Ok

It's now saturday night down under and I'll give you all a run down from today.

We picked the boat up this morning and did all the run down stuff. Our dealer in oz is helpfull but like any new boat you will have issues. I will keep that stuff private and the dealer will look at my list when I take her back. Better i find all the faults and do it in the one hit.

Anyhow picked her up and straight down to the water :D Soon worked out my electric brakes which were installed on the car this week arnt working. Being a large 4x4 (Nissan Patrol, haha you guys dont have them :wink: ) weighing 2.4 tonne unladden I couldnt notice the weight braking so wasnt to worried. Still when i pull the manual brake switch on nothing happens. Tonight I did notice the battery on the electric hydrualic brakes wasnt connected. Still hooked it up and still dont work. If you pull out the emergency lanyard you can hear it work. So I'm certain it is how it is wired up or the controller. Job for another week :cry:

Back to the water !!! first thing I noticed was the drain plug is a %^$#$ to put back in with the wire. Might look at removing the wire and having a few spare plugs, Just painfull to shove the wire assembly back in.

Launched her, mates parked the car, came alongside the jetty and we were off. Yes i found out they wander around at 8 knots but still go straight :? My last outboard never did that but oh well. Speedo dies but asume it is clogged or kinked line after searching on the forum tonight.

Past the last 8 knot zone and dumped her as you do (Still gentle) and we were off, soon noticed alot of garbage in teh water so soon slowed down.

GPS was reading 54mph. the last 10mph was low and was acheived by trimming the engine. Reckon she will hit 60mph. It has the 350 MAG MPI with Barvo 1 leg and 21 pitch 3 blade prop.

On the way back tried to find the optimum cruising speed, around 20mph seems nice, Got down to 16 mph but felt the engine was labouring (droping off plane ?)

I'm guessing with the 21P prop the pickup from stanionary will never be fast but it wasnt that quick ? is taht normal ?

Anyhow very pleased with the boat but still a few things to fix and add. Just some smple stuff as well, like no hook in the anchor locker to tie your warp line for example :roll:

Still I'm relaxed and will get all my teething problems sorted. Back at the ramp 2 hours later, drove on the trailer and went home to drinkin the while parked in the driveway, as you do !!!

Going back on the water tomorrow for another day, this time with a full tank of fuel, only had 1/3 tank so was playing it safe as well.

Cant post anyhows right now as on a mates camera.

Steve
2008 Caravelle 217LS
Swerve

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:00 am

Great report swerve! Sounds like you are INTO the Caravelle boating life now! :D At slow speed they ALL wander a bit.

I assume your 21P prop is aluminum? Get a stainless, the cupping and rake angles are going to help a lot. If you want power, especially at take off, get a 4 blade. For speed at top end you wanna stick with a 3 blade. For all around best performnce, look at Mercury's ENERTIA prop. RPMs at WOT are the key to what prop pitch to run.

Get those photos up when you can, we ALL wanna see this new baby:)

Oh! Reference parking in the drieway and drinkin' up? Depends on your age and how much you had on the water. Our intent was to stay out after dark. However, after more then a few brews and gorgeous hot sun with light winds we loaded up at 8pm and heaed to driveway. Ate and then could not keep eyes open. Bed at 9:45 :shock: But what a GREAT day on the water :lol: HP
HOT PURSUIT

Postby Swerve » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:18 am

HOT PURSUIT wrote:Great report swerve! Sounds like you are INTO the Caravelle boating life now! :D At slow speed they ALL wander a bit.

I assume your 21P prop is aluminum? Get a stainless, the cupping and rake angles are going to help a lot. If you want power, especially at take off, get a 4 blade. For speed at top end you wanna stick with a 3 blade. For all around best performnce, look at Mercury's ENERTIA prop. RPMs at WOT are the key to what prop pitch to run.

Get those photos up when you can, we ALL wanna see this new baby:)

Oh! Reference parking in the drieway and drinkin' up? Depends on your age and how much you had on the water. Our intent was to stay out after dark. However, after more then a few brews and gorgeous hot sun with light winds we loaded up at 8pm and heaed to driveway. Ate and then could not keep eyes open. Bed at 9:45 :shock: But what a GREAT day on the water :lol: HP

Being in such a rush to get her wet, i left all the safety gear in the car, boat licence at home, was drifting in the bay suckin on a beer and guess what !!!

the bloody police came over and checked me out, I was upfront, no licence as it was at home, most safety gear still in the car blah blah, they also told me off as the boat was drifting it was technicially under way and leagally you cannot be consumming grog when underway as skipper. Anyhow got off with a caution.

So it was just easier to go in as fuel gauge was 1/4 to Empty and didnt feel like getting busted.

Lets just say tomorrow will be a fun day !!!!

These are the only shots I have, one from a few weeks ago in the dealers shop

Also it has a stainless prop, also it's winter down here so it is still quite cold on the water :cry: but still FUN :D

Then collecting her today before hitting the water

2008 Caravelle 217LS
Swerve

Postby HOT PURSUIT » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:23 am

AWESOME Mate :lol: :lol: :lol: Believe or NOT, you can DRINK WHILE DRIVING, just a boat, in Wisconsin. HOWEVER, the .08 alcohol concentration still applies.

Wonder what other states and countries allow?????????????????? Speak up people!
HOT PURSUIT

PreviousNext

Return to General Boating Discussions